Need help with doing something other than simple query

baseball

Board Regular
Access 2007 on Win 7 64-bit

Want to analyze baseball data from the point of view of results with runners on base by teams and individuals. I know how to do this but there are 30 teams and many batters. Also, there are eight states of runners on base (no one on base; a runner on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd; two runners on 12/13/23; runners on all three bases. This is time consuming for one season and I have decades of data to analyze. Is there some way of streamlining the process so I don't have to keep rewriting queries. This would all be very simple to do in Excel but recent seasons have 1.8+ million records each to process.

One thing that could be a drawback is that the year and the home team's identifier need to be split out from the [gameID], as in" Home: Left([gameID],3) and Year: Val(Mid([gameID],4,4)). I'm not sure this fits in with Crosstabs, Pivot Tables, and things like that.

Basically, I'd like a query where I could click on a field and choose a Year, a team (or all teams), the various base runner states and get the number of occurrences for each state and the sum of the [Runs Batted In] for each state. Is this feasible?

While SQL is not a strong suit, I think I know enough to expand upon a basic solution.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
No, you don't have to rewrite queries.
either make a parameter query that asks you the date
or
use a form so the query reads off a text box... Select * from table where [runDate]= forms!frmMain!txtDate

Upvote 0
Thanks. I didn't know about parameter queries. They could simplify some of the things I do but I think that I'll also look into forms with drop-down boxes, which I haven't tried.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bosvinn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back