Need help with a Form involving a Lookup Field and entering data

rkhondas2000

Good Morning,

I was trying to make life easier with a project we were just assigned. We have a table which has over 16k records and multiple columns. I would like to create a form which shows the employee identifier, full name and status. Each of these are already included on the table, but the status is blank.

I would like to have any user type in the employee identifier, it then will return the full name to confirm the employee and then they can have a list box for the status with available options. Once they press enter or hit a save button, only the status will be updated on the table and the rest of the form will clear for the next entry.

I tried using the Microsoft form wizard which brings up the employee Identifier/name (Already populated with a record) and status but I need the employee identifier/name to be read/searchable only. Is there a easy way to accomplish this instead of having the users have full rights to the table?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
After you have built a form with every field you need except Status, create a simple select query to gather the status values. If you have such a form, just remove the rowsource for your status combobox. There should only be one record for each status if I understand your goal. Then go to design view and add a combobox if you don't already have one (assuming user can pick only one status value) and on the property sheet, assign that query as the rowsource for your unbound combobox. Then create an update query that will write the status value to your table. The criteria for the value to be written will be like Forms!frmFormName.ControlName. The criteria for picking the right table row is referenced the same way, but you use references to your form controls (textboxes) such as EmplID or whatever you need. Substitute your project's form and control names in my sample. When a user clicks the button, one of the actions for this event needs to be to run that update query. You may want to add checks at the start of your button click event to test for no data in the combobox or on someother control.

It's often a good idea to keep what you have and create a copy of a db object such as a form, report, query etc. before you use suggestions to modify your object. You can always fall back to what you had if it blows up. I just rename my objects by preferencing the name with zz so it always goes to the bottom on my navigation pane, then copy that and remove the zz in the new name and make the mods on the new object.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back