Need help sorting for formulas

52hell

I have a long list of items names on A column, the items are for rental purposes, and in order to keep track of its rent history, the item returned will have a returned date on the R column, and have strikethrough. But then a new row of the returned item will be added to indicate that it's open for rental, so the item with the same name can have multiple duplicates, but only 1 active row. These are on sheet 1.

In addition to that, new items will be purchased and stored up as an replacement, backups or as a new product for rental. These are on sheet 2.

So on sheet 2, I use Vlookup function to search whether the new product is rented out, if it is, I want it to return the person/company that rented it, the formula is =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'sheet 1!'$A$4:$R$10875,9,FALSE,"")
But it only listed the first item match of the search table, and that item is a returned item.

I want to know if I want to only match the current active one, how should the formula be? I used IF function, but then I realized I don't know how to set the criteria if column R = "", then Vlookup, because not every item on sheet 2 is listed on sheet 1. So please help for a easy formula. And I'm on EXCEL 2003, so, no fancy new functions, thank you very much.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
please post sample data.. :)

I have a long list of items names on A column, the items are for rental purposes, and in order to keep track of its rent history, the item returned will have a returned date on the R column, and have strikethrough. But then a new row of the returned item will be added to indicate that it's open for rental, so the item with the same name can have multiple duplicates, but only 1 active row. These are on sheet 1.

In addition to that, new items will be purchased and stored up as an replacement, backups or as a new product for rental. These are on sheet 2.

So on sheet 2, I use Vlookup function to search whether the new product is rented out, if it is, I want it to return the person/company that rented it, the formula is =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'sheet 1!'$A$4:$R$10875,9,FALSE,"")
But it only listed the first item match of the search table, and that item is a returned item.

I want to know if I want to only match the current active one, how should the formula be? I used IF function, but then I realized I don't know how to set the criteria if column R = "", then Vlookup, because not every item on sheet 2 is listed on sheet 1. So please help for a easy formula. And I'm on EXCEL 2003, so, no fancy new functions, thank you very much.

Upvote 0
I think this is wrong.
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'sheet 1!'$A$4:$R$10875,9,FALSE,"")

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'sheet 1'!$A$4:$R$10875,9,FALSE),"")
(And the sheet name has a space: sheet_1.)

Upvote 0
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A2,'2013-2014'!$A$4:$R$65536,9,FALSE),"")
???this was the exact formula I used, but I want to know how to set the criteria that it will eliminate the other returned items and retrieve the only active item. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back