Navigate Switchboard using keyboard / Bar Code Scanner

CT Witter

MrExcel MVP
I'm improving a previous database and was looking to enable my users to navigate the switchboard using the keyboard but preferably using the bar code scanner.

For example, the user could scan the number one and it would open switchboard item 1.

I have used a sample template like the one found below. I wasn't sure if there was someone to modify the code to make this happen.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010184581033.aspx?CategoryID=CT011366681033

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi CT Witter,

For the most part, scanners work just like a keyboard. Scanning something is the same as typing in a string of text. So anything you can trigger from typing something in you can trigger from a barcode scan.

I'm thinking, have a text box, put the cursor in the text box, and then whatever you scan should be entered as text into the textbox. You can then use the textboxes onchange() event to trigger a select case statement that allows you to specify what to do depending on what they entered. If there are a lot of options, instead of a select case, you could set up a table and relate the name of the form to open (for example) to the code, that way it's easier to keep track of.

Upvote 0
I like the suggestion, but it looks like that will require signifcant changes to the pre-built switchboard.

Upvote 0
That is correct. May I suggest making your own switchboard, it's such an easy thing to do. Look under Tools|Startup, and you'll see where you specify what form opens automatically when the db is opened. Make your switchboard and then set it to automatically open when the db opens. Unless you have no knowledge of VBA at all, I think this is a good thing to do. Then you can add your textbox that will receive the value from the scanner.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back