my week was hell (and yours?)

Felix Atagong

My hell week started last Thursday when at 5 PM a rather nervous girl rushed into my office (or pigsty) asking me where the faxtoner was. When I said that it was probably in the cupboard next to the printtoner she answered that there wasn't anymore left. Hmmm, I replied, who has been so foolish taking all the toner away (normally there are at least 5 or 6 cartridges) without saying anything to anybody? Well that wasn't her problem and it was me who had to find a solution, and fast... Now I sarcastically remarked that I knew the fax was invented by Micro$oft and that replacing a faxtoner asks for a 4-year-university-degree, but finding a toner (for a 'pro' machine) at 5 in the afternoon wasn't exactly in my league.

Do I need to explain that these faxes do a very load PING every 30 seconds starting about 24 hours in advance? I still wonder how people can ignore that sound for a full day? Unless of course they all knew there was no more toner left and nobody wanted to look after it.

But being a pro myself I phoned to our toner guy, no answer, gone home of course, so I mailed him to be a good boy and send us some toner asap. As I was myself on a long weekend the next day (Hi Ho Silver) I forwarded the mail to the girl who does all the office and paper stuff (she was of course already home). Knowing that the average person's Inbox is the same as Deleted Items, I even printed the mail, wrote on it to check with the tonerguy the day after and taped the paper on her PC-screen.

When I left the company I saw somebody busy taking the toner cartridge out of fax A and putting it in fax B (the empty one) so that its memory could be printed. And this had been going on all afternoon. I laughed all the way home...

On Monday I entered work and asked the office and paper stuff girl if she had received the toner. Nope, she said. I asked, did you phone the supplier. Yes, she said. And what did they say? Nothing, nobody answered the phone. So I phoned myself, had the person after 30 seconds on the line, and found out that the toner for that machine would take a week to arrive. Our machines are so professional that the toner has to be fabricated by buddhist monks in a monastery on the Himalaya, or something...

Did anyone try to phone another supplier, I asked? Normally these critters harrass us every day, trying to sell us toner for a Eurocent less than the previous caller, but nobody had thought about that.

We have about 10 company cars, I said, did anybody think of sending one of our sales people, to a supplier, anywhere in Belgium, because what they do all day long is counting their fingers and toes...

People were staring at the floor and the ceiling, except the guy who was still wandering between the two fax machines with the only toner left in the company.

Well, somebody extremely intelligent said, we could phone XYZ in A, he is a client from us and he sells office goods so we could maybe ask...

So ask I said... and yep, this company had the toner in stock and we didn't even had to fetch it, the client-toner-friendly-man jumped into his car and drove it to us... no extra charge... just to help us...

Well that was the first day of the week, starting on Thursday... the rest was hell as well... maybe I'll tell you later

Felix

PS: I also changed the water dispenser in the office that morning as apparently nobody had seen it was empty..
PPS: that isn't exactly in my job description, should you have wondered...

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
I feel for you Felix.

Yesterday my IS guy came up to reinstall Excel because I had been having network files crash while saving and getting "floating point exception errors" and the ever helpful "error number occurred at vvxxxzyx09mndfsasakytwerf876234cscbc76" (obviously the address of a relatively little known Microsoft Developer in Tanzania...If you can decipher the string, you can call him and he'll tell you "It means you F&^$(*&$ crashed moron!"), which required me to restart the PC every **** time.

So we reinstall and all is well, it no longer takes 45 seconds for the VBE to launch, files aren't crashing, I'm happy and IS guy leaves, of course for another office. All of a sudden the laptop starts making noise like there are a couple of chipmunks having it out in a rusty habitrail in there, so I do the smart thing and shut 'er down, call IS and wait.

They bring up a "loaner" laptop from the stone ages, after installing Office 2000 Professional on it for me. Of course, this thing requires all manner of different cords and an entirely different docking station, so off to rearranging we go. We finally get it up and running and IS guy asked me if I had backed up my data. Nope, last time was Friday's weekly backup to the external HD, but hopefully I can get it hooked up to this one and only lose a week's worth of schtuff. Hmmm, we can't seem to find the software for that HD. No problem, make me a local administrator, like I was on my laptop and I'll download it and get rolling; I've got nothing else to do...

OK, now I can see the backups...Wait, why is the last one labeled 7/22/05? I just did one on 10/7/05? Hmmmm, 7/22 just about corresponds with the date that Dell installed a new motherboard...Uh ohh...It seems that when the new board was installed a bunch of defaulting occurred...Yup my weekly backup was occurring just like clockwork, unfortunately, my C drive was backing up to...you guessed it...itself! So all of my files are nice and secure (and backed up), and I mean secure, as they're on a hard drive that crashed...

So IS now has to make some calls to Dell's New Dehli branch to hopefully get me a new laptop and in the meantime, IS guy has some equipment at home (that he'd probably get fired for having here), and he's going to take a shot at restoring the HD this weekend. Hey, case o' suds & bottle of Scotch if you do pal!

So now I have plenty of time to contemplate how ****ty my week has been and empathize with ya' Felix!

Let's hope that all of our weekends go better!

Smitty

Sigh. Those sound a lot worse than my week has been, but I don't want to feel left out, so.... :lol:

One of our major applications here is basically a shell for a database where every process that occurs to a circuit board is logged. It goes to this machine, gets logged as going in, a procees happens which is logged, and then it's logged as going out.

If any defects occur along the way, these are logged to the appropriate process by an inspector or technician, and then rework personell "fix" it.

Anyway, there have been several incarnations of this software over my 6+ years here, and now, to get into this thing (after logging in your PC), you have to log into a terminal services client, and then start the particular sub application you want (data entry, reports, etc).

So...after one of these recent major "upgrades" my PC isn't able to use one of these sub applications (it errored out in the middle of my entering data). I call the help desk, and get them to send somebody out to my desk (and I get an email that my case has been opened). He futzes around doing things, and then I get paged and have to leave. When I get back the IT guy is no longer in sight, and I log back in to my PC, and find my case has been closed, and all the shortcuts and menus for this app on my PC are gone! And, the case gets closed as being resolved, and I get an email stating this. (?)

So again I call and (short version) the guy does stuff, says he has to load software to my PC by remot and leaves. After a while, he remote logs in, and then, lo and behold! everything is back the way it was before (none of the shortcuts working etc.). Another "resolved" email arrives....

SO... (deep breath) I call again today, and the help desk takes my info and says they'll get on it. Ten minutes later, I get a call from the IT guy saying that a new shortcut is on my desktop, and try it out. I log in the terminal server, and bam! everything is there, and actually works!

So my question is: Why do I have to talk to three people before stuff gets fixed? Did they just feel like going for the hat trick, or what?

Sorry this is so long. I just get really frustrated when stuff like this happens, that interrupts my time here @ MrExcel. :laugh:

So my question is: Why do I have to talk to three people before stuff gets fixed? Did they just feel like going for the hat trick, or what?
Answer: Job Security. So what if it makes you feel highly insecure about yours? Maybe it should be the InSecurity Dept. as opposed to I.S. :huh:

Smitty

pennysaver said:
Answer: Job Security. So what if it makes you feel highly insecure about yours? Maybe it should be the InSecurity Dept. as opposed to I.S. :huh:

Smitty
another theory: rather than job security, it takes 3 of them to collectively have the required IQ for doing the work?

(I used to refer to the IT dept as the idiot tribe)

pennysaver said:
(I used to refer to the IT dept as the idiot tribe)
ROFL! Question is what do you call them now?

Smitty
Smitty,

Refer to my earlier post about getting made redundant, ergo my answer to your question has to be "I now call them SOMEONE ESLE'S PROBLEM" doesn't make them any less of a bunch of idiots, just they're not my idiots now LOL

William :roll:

I played four rounds of golf during that week.

The weekend couldn't come quickly enough, so I could relax a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back