My Program For just MY Office

austin3515

Board Regular
Can I write some code where in the vba will check to see what the ip address is of the server holding the file, and disable it when being accessed from any other ip address?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about how someone could just walk out the door with years of my time invested in Access databases that are helpful to anyone in my industry. In fact I already know through the grapevine it has happened to me before...

And then too, I assume there is a way to lock up my code so no one can edit it?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
You can create an MDE file to prevent editing.

Upvote 0
1) I don't want to split because these programs are all self-contained mini-programs used over and over independently for a single client. So the users copy and paste the template to a client directory. Splitting would be a nightmare as the links would need to be refreshed each time.

2) I don't want to prevent editing to the program, that would not be enough protection. I want to make sure that if they leave our employ and go to work for a competitor that they can't use it.

ALSO, because of the "one and done" nature of these files, it would not be a problem if some corporate level changed disable most features in the program. So for example, if the program could detect the domain name, and disable the ability to import new data if the file was not under the expected domain, this would solve my problem.

Upvote 0
oohh.... Now I get it. Check for the domain in vba code, then convert to mde format. Then no one could ever edit it AND I don't have to lock my project with a vba password.

That is very exciting!

Upvote 0
Except that you will have to hard code each version with the expected path and compare with the environment variable, and if they ever want to relocate the db, or replace the server with a new one with a different name, etc. the program will cease to open? You won't be able to work on it away from the office either. If by lock the project with a password you mean the vba portion, you don't need to if it's an mde or accde. The code is not viewable. You cannot stop anyone from copying any form/report or query design with that level of protection either.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I was checking for domain name. So if a new server is installed, the domain name will not change. Similarly even if the file is moved around to different machines within the same domain, it should still work.

And if the file is an accde, I thought the only thing you could pull out of it was the underlying data/tables, not any of the code, queries, reports, etc? Or is it just the code that is locked up? Honestly as long as the code is locked up that is good enough for me...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back