My mouse hurts!

Airfix9

Hi all,

Like many users, I use the central scroll wheel quite regularly and it's causing me a problem in my right index finger - by the end of the week there is a sharp pain in my finger pad. I have put this down to the mini-clicks that the wheel produces when you scroll which is irritating the nerve-endings in my finger and this has been confirmed by my doctor.

So, to my question... does anyone know of a mouse (or similar pointing device) which will enable you to move a spreadsheet around? Many trackball-type mice use the ball to move the cursor. I want to be able to move the cursor or the spreadsheet itself - I decide which, obviously.

Any advice gratefully revceived.

[/b]

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi,

Don't know if it's standard with scroll wheels but with mine if you press the scroll button in the pointer changes to a four-way scroll arrow and you can cruise around the spreadsheet (or whatever else you're viewing) using that.

Personally I usually find it way easier to use the keyboard for most of the work I do in Excel anyway including navigating the workbook.

Dom

Mine offers that as well, and it zips around at the speed of light! I would like to retain some element of control...

Maybe I just need to consider a new way of working...

You can always use the keyboard instead... Page up/Page down to scroll vertically or ALT+Page up/ALT + Page down to scroll horizontally. Or, CTRL+arrow key to move to the last non-blank cell in any direction... or, F5 (GoTo) and type in the cell reference you'd like to zoom to.

Page up/Page down to scroll vertically or ALT+Page up/ALT + Page down to scroll horizontally.
You can also use the space bar to scroll down and shift+space bar to scroll up. Not sure about horizontal, though--never had to use/try it.

I tend to use that when viewing a list of links, say when I'm looking at Slashdot or Digg for example. I can have one hand on the keyboard and scroll with the space bar and just click on things with the mouse :)

You can also use the space bar to scroll down and shift+space bar to scroll up

Space bar to scroll? How's that work then? Shift + space bar selects the current row(s) and ctrl + space the columns but not come across being able to move around using it.

Eep! Sorry--I spazzed out and was talking about using IE or Firefox--not Excel :oops:

(It's gonna be a looooong week at this rate...)

My mouse is just a cheap thing I picked up but the wheel movement is quite smooth. Not sure what make it is, just says "3D optical mouse" on the bottom. I've used ones with harsher "clicks" and I can see how this could cause pain/annoyance! Perhaps shopping around for a smoother action on the wheel could be worth doing.

The other tip I have is to increase the number of rows which the wheel scrolls with each turn. I currently have it set at 10 rows (I think the default is 2 or 3). This allows me to whizz down a large sheet with little effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back