My First Question

Apexwolf

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am relatively new to Excel (using it for the past year) and have an issue I cannot seem to find a solution to. "=IF((H12-H14)*1000<0,0,(H12-H14)*1000)" I have this equation in a cell when I use one of my dial indicators at work, the problem is I have a second dial indicator that reads backwards. So instead of having to manually flip both H12-H14 is there a way I can tell this cell which dial indicator I'm using and then it uses the correct formula? Let me know if my question is not clear. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Welcome to the forum. Yes, it is quite possible to tell it which formula to use, however, we need to know how you are tracking which dial indicator you are using to know how to tell the formula which one you are using.

But something along the lines of this:

IF( dial indicator = A, then use this formula, else use this formula ), of course, also keeping your current check to see if the formula is greater than 0. Of course, that can be shortened like this:

=MAX((H12-H14)*1000,0)

Upvote 1
Solution
I think that formula could be simplified to this
=MAX(0,(H12-H14)*1000)

but what is a "dial indicator"?

Upvote 1
It is a measuring device that read how much something expands or shrinks. I didn't realize I could simplify the formula, that is neat. I'll try out the simplified formula and dried1011's IF suggestion.

Upvote 0
Well this isn't working well. I am trying to send that XL2BB mini sheet but all I get is thsi code.
Bulk for export from Benton & Winchester.xlsx
GHIJ
10SPECIMEN INUNDATION
11distilled water for 24 h or expantion rate < 0.0002 in./hHeight (in)Time (h:m)Date
12Initial0.282018:4106/17/24
13Reading0.26109:1006/18/24
14Final Reading0.2150
15EI (measured)67
EI FORM
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H15H15=MAX((H12-H14)*1000,0)

Upvote 0
Is there somewhere on your sheet you can enter a value to determine which dial indicator you are using?

Upvote 0
OK, That formula is fantastic, works perfect. The =IF formula @dried1011 suggested only returns #NAME?. Here is what I tried.
Bulk for export from Benton & Winchester.xlsx
GHIJ
10SPECIMEN INUNDATION
11distilled water for 24 h or expantion rate < 0.0002 in./hHeight (in)Time (h:m)Date
12Initial0.282018:4106/17/24
13Reading0.26109:1006/18/24
14Final Reading0.2150
15EI (measured)#NAME?
EI FORM
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H15H15=IF(J15=A,(MAX((H12-H14)*1000,0)),(MAX((H14-H12)*1000,0)))

Upvote 0
Is there somewhere on your sheet you can enter a value to determine which dial indicator you are using?
Yea, just gonna have a white text in the same area. It will only need to be for the cells reference.

Upvote 0
That is because it does not recognize A here:
Excel Formula:
=IF(J15=A

If you are checking for a value of "A", it needs to be inside double-quotes, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(J15="A"

Literal values always needs to go between double-quotes.
Otherwise, it thinks it is a function or range reference.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back