My 1st post ..finds the 'black hole"

spelingchampeon

I've been working on an excel file, and have done some research trying to accomplish a task for myself. I'm not versed in excel.. just a hack trying to get something to work. Through a search engine, I wound up here, saw all the members 'online' and figured the more the merrier.

Unfortunately, the more people, the faster my post disappeared from page 1, to page 6 (in a couple of hours).. with only 14 view and no replies.

This is not a complaint, as it's hard to complain about something free, in which people GIVE their time and effort to help others. It's more of a 'what if'. What if the main forum was split into different headings? For instance, maybe "Formula's" and "VBA" or whatever groups bring the most questions. While I appreciate what everyone does, I have a sneaky suspicion I'm not the 1st to visit the black hole. Thanks

1 way to get your thread back "into the light", is to post on it again - something like "bump" or "any suggestions" - you get the idea :)

Hi,

Posts with zero replies show up in the zero reply posts lists which is used by experienced members who answer more questions than they ask. So I would not worry about your post not being on page 1. It is on the zero reply list too. For that reason I recommend do *not* bump posts for the first 24 hours. Once you do that you lose the benefit of your post being on the zero reply list. After that, a bump once or twice a day might work (but no guarantees).

Good luck!

xenou

Thanks for the recommendations. I knew about the 'bump', but I was merely trying to point out that it might be better having someone coming back to read suggestions... instead of bumping their post back to the top. Let me reiterate, I'm not here to bash.. it was just a thought.

The suggestion about dividing up forums has been discussed at length on more than one ocassion. Short answer: it's not going to happen as there are pro's and con's and the pro's are not outweighing the con's. I for one am more likely to see your post if there is only one Excel questions forum since I will browse questions in that forum, whereas in forums where there are various different subforums I find that I end up selecting one or two that I am most interested in and ignore the rest (though I may still see all unanswered threads in the zero-reply list, as explained above). People who are interested in answering questions don't just stop at page one - so again, I will reiterate that it's not really as big a concern as you may think if your thread isn't visible on page one.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/528128-sub-forums.html
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/347788-board-moves-too-fast.html

My suggestions for increasing the chances of posts was given here, if it helps you too:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/648303-suggestion-bump.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
androidmj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back