multiquote (+Quote) does not work as I expected

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
When I click +Quote (add to multiquotes), it does not seem to do anything. Perhaps my mistake. Perhaps my misunderstanding. Whadaya think?

For example, in a discussion with 2 postings (OP and 1 response), if I click +Quote in the first posting and click Reply in the second posting, I thought I would get quoted text from both postings. Instead, I get only quoted text from the posting that I am replying to -- the same as if I never clicked +Quote.

I also tried clicking +Quote in both postings before clicking Reply, to no avail.

Moreover, starting over (i.e. pressing -Quote in both postings, deleting the draft, closing the window and opening the thread in a new window), when I click +Quote in the __second__ posting and click Reply in the __first__ posting, I was hoping again that I would get quoted text from both postings. And again, I get only quoted text from the posting that I am replying to -- again, the same as I never clicked +Quote.

FYI, I do the latter to be sure that the submitter of the posting that I am replying will receive a notification (if enabled). In this forum (I participate in several), I don't remember if submitters received notifications of responses to other people's postings. Do they?

In any case, if my expectations about +Quote are misplaced, what should clicking +Quote do, and what else (if anything) do I need to do to make that happen?

TIA

When I click +Quote (add to multiquotes), it does not seem to do anything. Perhaps my mistake. Perhaps my misunderstanding. Whadaya think?
Reply and +Quote work differently, and they are not used together.

If you select a text in a post and click on the Reply button in the tooltip that appears as soon as you select the text, then this action copies the selected text into the text editor.
1607889299660.png

Or if you click on the Reply button in the right corner of any post, then this action copies the entire post into the text editor.

1607889469916.png

However, +Quote lets you select different sections from different posts (even from different threads), and saves them in memory. When you start clicking on +Quote, you will notice a new button at the bottom of the editor: Insert Quotes.

1607889597390.png

When you are ready and click on this new button, you will see a dialog that shows all the quoted messages in a modal dialog box.

1607889719126.png

This will let you paste all quoted messages at once (even reorder them before pasting), so you don't have to do that one by one that normally requires you to go to each page separately.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Yes. Thanks. And that's a lot easier than what I have been doing. :) FYI, I do not see how to mark your response as "solution" in this subforum.

I do not see how to mark your response as "solution" in this subforum.
This is not a question forum, but a discussion forum instead. So there is no need to mark solution posts. Thank you for being responsive about "mark as a solution"! That's a really good thing that we are trying to remind all MrExcel Message Board members.

In fact, I can see that you have 12 unmarked questions :). If you received answers for them, then you can simply go to this page, and mark the ones that you received an answer.

Thank you!

This is not a question forum, but a discussion forum instead. So there is no need to mark solution posts.

Just as I thought. But some time ago, I was getting "nastyfications" for discussions that I started in this forum. They seem to have stopped. Just want to be sure I wouldn't get any more today. ;)

In fact, I can see that you have 12 unmarked questions :). If you received answers for them, then you can simply go to this page, and mark the ones that you received an answer.

I had done that some time ago, soon after getting those notifications. But I must've missed these because even when I click "this page" now, I must click a link to see the older postings.

I'll try to remember to take care of those later. I'm in the middle of other things right now, including helping others. ;)

I'll try to remember to take care of those later. I'm in the middle of other things right now, including helping others. ;)

Of course :) I know those are really old questions. (In fact, I did the same thing to @MrExcel by asking him to mark the solutions in his old questions, even 20 years old ones!).
I just meant to thank you for your help with it since you being very responsive about it above. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MNexcelguy19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back