Multiple Users of A VBA Word Form Organtization Questions

mrlemmer11

Hello All,

So, I was able to snag a 10 week contracting position for a company to help build some tools for them. Right now they have a team of 10 who are going into Word and PDF documents, copying certain pieces, then pasting that piece into a certain field in excel. Now, there are tens of thousands of Word and PDF docs that they are going through, they are all different and there isn't really too much structure to have a tool that just automatically does it... so that is not what I am looking for guidance on.

What I have built thus far is a form and a series of macros which allow them to stay in Word completely without leaving. Essentially they highlight pieces of text and then hit keystroke macro commands to comment on them. Alt q = category 1, alt w text = category 2, etc etc. Then after they are done marking up the word document with comments, they hit submit, and through word VBA I have been able to transfer all highlighted comments to the appropriate fields in excel. (once again, I know it seems like a macro could just find keywords in the word doc and transfer the info into excel using some data scraping and rationalization, but trust me, the people marking these up are necessary right now).

So here is where I have questions about this. This is an ongoing process where the team would like to start implementing a frill free version of this tool... which means there will be updates along the way. We all have our own computers in the office and we all have access to a shared drive.

What is the best method for deploying this?
1) my best guess: put the user ready version on the shared drive, each person copies it onto their pc and works off of that?
2) my God I hope this is possible guess: Is there anyway that they could all just launch the version on the shared drive as like a copy without ever actually keeping the file on their computer? This way, when it is updated, they are all using the lastest version....

Best Method for sharing files? example, 10 users each are assigned 10k documents to complete. User 3 is half way through a 60 page document when they must take a leave of absence... how can user 4 pick up where user 3 left off?
1) my best guess: keep all completed and in-progress files on the shared drive?

Also, i've looked and looked and found very limited information regarding how to save files, working with directories, working with settings files, and multi user VBA app practices and building information..... Any links or guidance you guys have regarding this would be great, i'll read over it all if you can share a link.

Lastly, any personal tips you guys and gals may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Michael

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back