multiple shift time clock hours

fly_champ

I looked for quite a while, and didn't find any similar posts, so here goes:

I am trying to determine the hours someone has worked in a day.
I have a unique entry in an excel db for every clock in/ clock out
there are overlapping shifts, ie: 1st shift is 5am to 3:30pm 2nd shift is 3:00pm to 1:30AM

second shift is considered to have worked all their hours on the day they started working their hours, for payroll purposes.

how do I query the database entries so that the second shift people's hours are captured when only one day is entered as criteria?

time clock db:
Code:
TimeIn	                  TimeOut  Completed	TotalTime	UserID	HoursWorkedID
8/9/2004 5:00:00 AM	8/9/2004 12:00:51 PM	-1	420	191	50601	
8/9/2004 4:53:15 AM	8/9/2004 11:28:47 AM	-1	395	14	50602	
8/9/2004 5:00:00 AM	8/9/2004 12:00:37 PM	-1	420	186	50603

accrual query sql:
Code:
SELECT HoursWorked.TimeIn, HoursWorked.TimeOut, UserInfo.FirstName, UserInfo.LastName, HoursWorked.TotalTime, UserInfo.UserID, UserInfo.EmployeeNumber, UserInfo.IsActive, [UserInfo].[LastName] & ", " & [userinfo].[FirstName] AS FullName, HoursWorked.Completed, *
FROM HoursWorked RIGHT JOIN UserInfo ON HoursWorked.UserID = UserInfo.UserID
WHERE (((HoursWorked.TimeOut)>=[Forms]![SwitchBoard]![Text115] And (HoursWorked.TimeOut)<=[Forms]![SwitchBoard]![Text115]+1) AND ((UserInfo.IsActive)=True))
ORDER BY UserInfo.LastName;

-where text115 is a date entered by the user to view the hourly labor distribution and total time stores the amount of time a person was clocked in

this current query does not capture hours accurately all the time.
My thoughts are to somehow feed a start time into the date since a date really implies a range of time so I would like it to work like:
">= #3:00:00 AM# & text115 & and <= #3:00:00 AM# & text115 & +1" or something, but that particular syntax does not work :)

I would like to use a global variable as the parameter (date) on the query to eliminate having the form open to update the textbox, but I am not sure how that is done.

thank you for your time
Jon

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I had a go at this and came up with this solution:
1. Create a calculated field based on TimeIn, which leaves out the time component -- DateSerial(Year([TimeIn]),Month([TimeIn]),Day([TimeIn]) This makes it possible to use a parameter to pull out the start dates.
2. Below this calculated field, create a parameter like -- [Which Day]
3. Still in Design view, go to Query | Parameters. In the dialog, enter your parameter name and the data type (Date/Time).
When you run the query, you get a parameter pop-up. Enter the date and you should have the data you wanted.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back