Multiple Monitors

termeric

im trying to convince my boss that i need a second monitor, so i want to do some fact gathering about what my options are.

im running a HP with a P4 2.8 Ghz processor, 1gig of RAM, and an integrated videocard (82865g?)

since getting a second videocard installed in the computer is going to be near impossible, what are my other options. ive heard of VGA splitters but ive never used one. does any one have expierience with them?

any facts or ideas or tactics you can share to help me convince management would be much apreciated, i really am getting annoyed by the lone 17"'s that i have to deal with.

thanks,

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
it was a good read thanks,

do you know however, if i can drive 2 monitors off a single head card?

from what ive seen with most of these VGA splitters, it just clones the desktop, but doesnt add any extra space.

I couldn't tell you as I've never tried it.

I'd be interesting in what you come up with though, as my wife wants a dual monitor setup.

Smitty

I am not much of a hardware geek, I'm afraid. But here at work I'm running a Sony VAIO notebook & WinXP. All I had to do was plug a monitor into the video out on the port replicator and right-click the screen and go to the Settings tab and used common sense in finishing the setup.

click thumbnail for larger image
Surprisingly simple and I love it. I can have Excel open on one screen and the VBE in the other and walk through code. Or have Excel and Access both visible. Or say...MrExcel.com and Excel. If I didn't have to cough up the dough myself, I'd set myself up two monitors at home! I highly recommend it for work!

Smitty -- just skimmed those links you posted. I might have a use for my old laptop! :-D Will have to play with it when I get the time...

Per this link, you need to have an additional PCI video card to use a second monitor with your graphics chipset. I believe you can pick up PCI cards really cheaply since they are such old technology, so even if you bite the bullet and purchase one yourself you may only be talking $10. I'm attempting to persuade my bosses of my need for a twin display this coming Wednesday...

Richard

parsnip,

thats what i was afraid of. i had to go through some red tape to get a split keyboard, i can only imagine what it would take to get a video card instaled in the computer. unfortunatly i cant just pop open my tower and add a card my self.

i did find the matrox triple head 2 go, which looks liek it might wo0rk for me if i got 3 monitors, but im not sure if i could use only 2. this is all assuming ofcourse that i get management to aprove somehting liek this.

check it out, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/04/12/matrox_triplehead_2_go/1.html

I'd love a set up like that (wouldn't we all?) but I know for a fact my work wouldn't authorise the expenditure :-(

Sweet (and expensive) idea for home though...

Richard

with a 2nd monitor and another hardware connection, you can do desktop sharing
with another pc on the same network, you can do Maxivista.
I use both to setup 3 monitors.

the pc for the 3rd monitor doesn't have to be super fast, just keep up w/the network connection.

and WELL worth it. two monitors is the minimum must for a programmer.

im trying to convince my boss that i need a second monitor, so i want to do some fact gathering about what my options are.

im running a HP with a P4 2.8 Ghz processor, 1gig of RAM, and an integrated videocard (82865g?)

since getting a second videocard installed in the computer is going to be near impossible, what are my other options. ive heard of VGA splitters but ive never used one. does any one have expierience with them?

any facts or ideas or tactics you can share to help me convince management would be much apreciated, i really am getting annoyed by the lone 17"'s that i have to deal with.

thanks,

You may be able to go with a second video card, maybe not. In any case if this is not a higher end machine it may cost you more for a good splitter then it does for upgrading from where you are. You could also consider a wide screen monitor that will give you similar results.

Perry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back