MS Office 2011 for Mac

peszo

Has anyone purchased or used it yet? do you recommend it? I understand they added VBA to the 2011 product, is it same as native VBA in the PC version or is it special to only Mac?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
...That puts Office 2011 only 1 version behind the latest MS versions -- they are now based on version 7 of VBA.
Still, having VB6 as the underpinning is a huge step forward from using Applescript.

Denis

Isn't the inclusion of VBA with Excel Mac 2010 more of a reinstatement rather than introducing something totally new?

I'm sure earlier versions of Excel for the Mac had VBA but for some reason they took it out.:eek:

Yes, it is a reinstatement.

As Luke pointed out earlier versions used VB5 (as per Office 97). In Office 2008 VBA was replaced with Applescript, immediately reducing the compatibility with Windows versions. In 2011 it's back, but now with VB6 as the base.

Denis

Denis

I don't think the VB6/VB7 thing is going to matter for a while.

The only thing I've seen talked about in any detail is about the declarations for API functions, apparently IntPtr has replaces Long.

That can be handled using compiler directives to basically declare with one way for 32-bit and another for 64-bit.

I think it may only be a problem when 64-bit versions of applications like Excel are being used.

I've not heard of too many people actually using the 64-bit version of Office 2010, perhaps because, for Excel anyway, you can only have that version installed.:)

True. Just making the point that Office Mac is not on the same VBA version as Office 2010 -- as has been the case since Office 2000 for Windows.

Bringing VBA back is a welcome move. However, it will create support issues for developers trying to work with 2008 and 2011. If 2011 is so much better (as Rory said) people might migrate across fairly quickly...

Denis

Just to be picky, in 2008 VBA was replaced with nothing, not Applescript, since that's entirely separate. :)
If you want compatibility you can (for the time being) always use XLM. :biggrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back