MS Excel 2016 Command button (ActiveX control)

wheelsguy

Good afternoon experts.

We create some macro enabled spreadsheets and some people use the ActiveX buttons to trigger the code in the subs and functions and others use shapes controls. We have had some issues with Office updates which are preventing some of the ActiveX buttons from working unless the end user selects 'Optimize for compatibility' in the options. We heard that the ActiveX buttons may be deprecated and unsupported by Microsoft. I wanted to see what others out there are using for buttons.

TIA, WheelsGuy

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
The other option for controls are Form controls. This writeup on StackOverflow is a great explanation of the differences between them.

Personally, I have had enough troubles over the years with ActiveX controls misbehaving and corrupting, that unless I specifically must have the extra customization available to them I'll nearly always prefer to use Form controls. I'm not aware of any specific plans to depreciate the ActiveX controls, and I seriously doubt that will be the case as that would mean the end of userforms too.

Upvote 0
The other option for controls are Form controls. This writeup on StackOverflow is a great explanation of the differences between them.

Personally, I have had enough troubles over the years with ActiveX controls misbehaving and corrupting, that unless I specifically must have the extra customization available to them I'll nearly always prefer to use Form controls. I'm not aware of any specific plans to depreciate the ActiveX controls, and I seriously doubt that will be the case as that would mean the end of userforms too.
Thank you for the insight and advice. Wheels

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back