MrExcel's Learn Excel #590 - Rolling Charts

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Apr 14, 2009.
Say that you need to show a rolling 6 month chart. Usually, I show how to drag the blue outline around the source data. However, in todays podcast, Kirk offers an alternative tip include all of the columns in your chart and hide/unhide the columns that you want to appear in your chart. Episode 590 shows you how.

This blog is the video podcast companion to the book, Learn Excel from MrExcel. Download a new two minute video every workday to learn one of the 277 tips from the book!
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Hey welcome back to the MrExcel netcast.
I'm Bill Jelen.
Today I have a cool tip to show on charting.
This is a tip I picked up in one of my power Excel seminars, fellow named Kirk, from row 2 gave me the great idea.
I want to thank Kirk for passing that along.
One tip that I show and it's already in my book is how to change the data that's in a chart.
So, if we need to show rolling six months where the data, here we have a chart that shows January through June.
When I click on the chart I get a blue outline around the data and I can grab the border of that blue outline and just move it.
So, if I move it to the right, a couple of columns the chart now changes to show May through August.
Well, Kirk's solution was a little bit different.
He said hey, just go ahead and chart all of the data and show all 12 months.
I mean then basically move your chart out of the way, I'll move it over here to the right hand side and he said then if you want to show just six months, hide the column.
So, if we hide January, February, March Format, Column, Hide and then October, November, December.
The chart automatically updates to show just the visible columns, that's a cool trick.
I guess it's been there forever something I never knew.
So, it turns out that if you want to customize which months or data points are in a chart.
You can hide the columns that you don't want in the chart, and the chart will automatically update to show just the visible columns.
Hey, thanks for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back