Mr. Excel bug?

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can anyone tell me why, when I try to post this formula on the board (without using "Code")

Code:
=IF(AND(A1>B1,A1<C1),"Yes","No")

it posts as

=IF(AND(A1>B1,A1_________________

This is rather annoying, in that it messes up my posts. I first noticed this yesterday on a different post. I tried disabling HTML, and it made no difference.

I've noticed that the "disable HTML" doesn't seem to work correctly all the time anymore, myself.

I've just kept forgetting to mention it to Juan. :oops:

He'll see it now, though, and maybe have an idea?

Does the "less than" sign induce some sort of html?

HTML tags use the less than and greater than symbols for the tags (view the page source and have a look).

So when you use the less than sign, it thinks you're starting a tag and interprets it as such.

They're just like the "board tags", just using a different bracket :)

The board's a bit weird that way.

Used to be that disabling HTML would take care of that, though.

I *think* that the disable HTML doesn't work fully, because we removed some of the code to make HTML Maker work, in the early days of the new board...

Juan,

Are there are any plans to correct it? Or will we have to work around it by placing certain Excel formulas in "Code"?

jmiskey said:
Juan,

Are there are any plans to correct it? Or will we have to work around it by placing certain Excel formulas in "Code"?

One way is to add extra spaces around the symbol...

=(A1 < B1)*C1

Thanks Aladdin,

I am quite unfamiliar with HTML. In this case I see that the "less than" sign was the culprit. IS HTML always prefaced with the "less than" sign, or are there other symbols which also might create problems?

I am just trying to figure out the instances in which I would need to add spaces to work around the bug.

jmiskey said:
I am quite unfamiliar with HTML. In this case I see that the "less than" sign was the culprit. IS HTML always prefaced with the "less than" sign, or are there other symbols which also might create problems?

On the board, at least, the "less than" sign will be your trouble-maker every time. As I mentioned before, HTML uses the less than and greater than symbols in the code tags, where the ubb code uses the square brackets. Same principle.

So where

Rich (BB code):
text
creates bolded text here on the board, the HTML equivalent is

Rich (BB code):
text
and will work here as well.

So whenever you use the less than symbol, the board thinks you're trying to use an HTML tag.

So if you had the less than/greater than symbols switched around in the formula in your first post, it would have read that as an entire tag and everything after the greater than would have shown up, since it's a "closed tag."

Example:

Original formula:
=IF(AND(A1>B1,A1<C1),"Yes","No")
>

If they're switched around:
=IF(AND(A1<B1,A1>C1),"Yes","No")

You don't see the bit in the middle as it's reading it as one complete tag since there is an open and close bracket.

Also of note: I put in a "greater than" symbol after the original formula so that I could type all of this afterwards and have it show up. If I hadn't done that, you wouldn't have seen anything between the "less than" sign in the original formula and the "greater than" sign in my switched around formula.

Make sense? If not this may help explain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back