more explicit wording of questions !

Ted Roesch

Board Regular
;)I love, visit/"glean" weekly your website for the Forum Q:/A:'s every weekend. I aquirie "many neat formulas", (not that I will ever need them in CAD Drafting); yet only a few members do the "Right Thing" by chastising the Inquirer's description of their "problem", too vaguely posted as "HELP/DUNNO/OOPS", etc.... That burns me up as well!

None the less, I'll be visiting next weekend again.

- continued success to this wonderful website. & to all moderators/members, "Get the Brass Ring".

Ted Roesch

I could not argree more

I have been on this board a LONG time, and I don't answer those posts.

lenze

Hi

A meaningful and descriptive question and background is certainly more useful than "I need a formula!" or some such and will usually result in a more appropriate answer faster.

I have at times taken posters to task if they fail to give any information, and frequently I will request further details before I spend time looking at a poorly described issue.

However, I wouldn't want newbie posters to be criticised or chastised for posting such a question - very often, they will simply not know what information will be required to answer their problem. I would like their first or (first few) experiences of MrExcel.com to be a universally welcoming one so that they know where to get help for their Excel problems.

So I go softly softly, because I remember what it was like when I was the new guy and I didn't know anything about Excel. As Lenze said, just ignore these posts if you feel strongly about them, or better yet, ask them for additional information and explain why you need it to answer their question - that way the poster will (hopefully) learn what is required to get their problems answered quickly and efficiently and will post 'better' questions in future :)

I've seen what harsh attitudes from members/moderators can do to other forums, and I'd hate for that to happen to MrExcel.com.

So I go softly softly, because I remember what it was like when I was the new guy and I didn't know anything about Excel.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I do try to answer questions, but I kinda feel if the OP can't give a good title to the thread, then why should I bother.

And yes, you had a different name then.

lenze

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back