Modifying formula to include more options

Skrej

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have the following formula (previously provided via another thread) which cumulative lists instances of a code for a given number of sheets.
Excel Formula:
=LET(d,VSTACK('Aug:Oct'!C8:V32),n,INDEX(d,,1),u,UNIQUE(FILTER(n,n<>"")),HSTACK(u,BYROW(u,LAMBDA(br,SUMPRODUCT((INDEX(d,,1)=br)*(d="t15"))))))

It works fine, and I understand how to modify it for given sheets. What I'd like to do is have it search for multiple codes (e.g. not just 't15' in the formula above, but also 't30, t45, t60 as well as 'e15', 'e30','e45' and 'e60'.

Is there I way I can set the value of d in the code above to include multiple options? I've tried adding the other codes separated by commas, but that throws an error.

(d="t15","t30)
(d="t15", d="t30")

Not sure if I'm just missing some syntax, or if I need to nest multiple index statement for each code, or what.

To further clarify, each month's sheet has a list of names down the leftmost column, followed by a code for each day (1 day per subsequent column to the right of the names). Other codes are used, but I don't need to tally them.

My main problem is I don't understand the formula well enough to interpret it.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Okay, I found how to search for all instances of code beginning with 't', but the question remains how to add in all instances of code beginning with 'e'
Excel Formula:
=LET(d,VSTACK('Aug:oct2'!C8:V32),n,INDEX(d,,1),u,UNIQUE(FILTER(n,n<>"")),HSTACK(u,BYROW(u,LAMBDA(br,SUMPRODUCT((INDEX(d,,1)=br)*(LEFT(d)="T"))))))

Upvote 0
Try to replace the (LEFT(d)="T") part with:

Excel Formula:
((LEFT(d)="T")+(--(LEFT(d)="E"))

Upvote 0
The only hitch is that if the name (listed in Col C) begins with a 't' or 'e', then it adds one to the code count. It doesn't do that when searching for only one code letter, though.

Upvote 0
I realize this is less than ideal, but all I can do is post some screenshots. I don't have admin permissions to install the XL2bb add on to post the actual code.

Each shot is one month. Edgar has 8 t/e combinations on each month, but the tallies using your formula count 9 for each month. Names not beginning with 'E' or 'T' (i.e. Babs) shows the correct count..
data1.png
data2.png
data3.png

Upvote 0
Many thanks! My guess is that this is due to the fact that it counts Edgar into the equation, i.e. that those names are part of the array; to test that, please return to your original formula and replace (LEFT(d)="T") with

Excel Formula:
(ISNUMBER(--(RIGHT(d))))

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=LET(d,VSTACK(Aug!C8:V32),n,INDEX(d,,1),u,UNIQUE(FILTER(n,n<>"")),HSTACK(u,BYROW(u,LAMBDA(br,SUMPRODUCT((INDEX(d,,1)=br)*(LEFT(d)="t))))))

Yes, that counts every time the letter 't' comes at the beginning of a cell, including the name.

data4.png

'

Here's the tally if I add a 't' in front of 'Matt'

data4b.png

Attachments

• data4b.png
    data4b.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. Would this count correctly then:

Excel Formula:
=LET(d,VSTACK(Aug!C8:V32),n,INDEX(d,,1),u,UNIQUE(FILTER(n,n<>"")),HSTACK(u,BYROW(u,LAMBDA(br,SUMPRODUCT((INDEX(d,,1)=br)*(ISNUMBER(--(RIGHT(d)))))))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back