Modify COUNTIF Formula to count inside parenthesis

kdr121

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following formula that I am using to count the number of occurrences of there being a value of 0 out of a number (i.e. 0/2 , 0/5, 0/1, etc...)

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"0/*")

This works fine as long as the data in the above range (Z7:Z30) is formatted as the above i.e. 0/3, however there the way users will be putting data into this cell range going forward will have a set of
parenthesis around them - i.e. (2.00/3.00) but when the parenthesis is used the Formula is not counting the 0's records. So I believe I either need to have a formula in the cell data range that automatically removes the set of parenthesis as the users paste the data (with parenthesis) into Excel, or I need to adjust the formula above that is counting the 0/ records to essentially ignore the parenthesis.

I could not find an easy solution with the first option as I don't want to require my users to enter the data somewhere else for it to then reflect without the parenthesis in the cell range, so I was looking more at the 2nd option of modifying the above formula, however when I try to combine the above formula with a SUBSTITUTE formula to remove the parenthesis I am getting an error. This is what I tried to accomplish this:

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(Z7:Z30, "(", ""), ")", ""),"0/*")

1729605845597.png

This formula works appropriately IF the data is formatted without the parenthesis, however once the parenthesis is put around the data then it does not work:

1729606226809.png

Below I am using the SUBSTITUTE formula to remove the parenthesis from cell Z29 above it. I either want to be able to utilize this formula in the actual cell range that the users are inputting the data into and have it re-format to remove the parenthesis, OR I need to be able to combine the below formula into the COUNTIF formula above (prefer whatever the simplest solution is).
1729606334349.png

Hope I have explained this well enough but please let me know if I can clarify anything, thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Can you change your COUNTIF() to:

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"(0/*")

Or maybe even.

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"*0/*")

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
will a zero value be entered as (0/2.00) or (0.00/2.00) or something else?

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Can you change your COUNTIF() to:

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"(0/*")

Or maybe even.

Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"*0/*")
Hi there! I tried both formulas and the first one results in 0 which is not correct , while the 2nd formula is showing 6 but it is counting the non-zero records such as (1.00/2.00) so this is also incorrect.

Upvote 0
In that case try
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"(0.00/*")

Upvote 0
Hi there! I tried both formulas and the first one results in 0 which is not correct , while the 2nd formula is showing 6 but it is counting the non-zero records such as (1.00/2.00) so this is also incorrect.
What about using this?
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,"*(0.00/*")

Is it possible to use this with 0/* also, to catch any that could be entered either as (0.00/xxx) or (0/x)...

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=SUM(COUNTIF(Z7:Z30,{"(0.00/*","(0/*"}))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back