Min/Max values in multi-dimensional array

bergy

Board Regular
Is there a VBA function that returns the maximum or minimum value of an array? How about the same for a multi-dimensional array?

I suppose I could write the fuction, but it is Friday and I am feeling a little lazy.

Thanks,

Bergy

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
If, by "multi-dimensional array" you mean pulling from several non-contiguous ranges, see below. Can be from multi sheets.
Book1
ABCDE
1199-1
12MaxMin
Sheet2

Upvote 0
I am sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I have a 2 dimensional, 4 x 120 array that I have filled with values, ie.:

MyArray(0 to 3, 0 to 119) as Integer

I need to find the maximum and minimum of each dimension. This array exists totally in VBA, not on a spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
Hi,

You may play around with following procedure. Here I use a range of data to populate the array but it can easily be substituted with another array of values.

Option Explicit

Sub Find_Max_Value()
Dim wbBook As Workbook
Dim wsSheet As Worksheet
Dim rnData As Range
Dim vaData As Variant
Dim i As Long, j As Long, lnMax As Long, lnMin As Long

Set wbBook = ThisWorkbook
Set wsSheet = wbBook.Worksheets("Blad1")

With wsSheet
Set rnData = .Range("A1:B2")
End With

vaData = rnData.Value

lnMin = vaData(1, 1)
lnMax = vaData(1, 1)

For j = 1 To 2
For i = LBound(vaData) To UBound(vaData)
Debug.Print vaData(i, j)
lnMin = IIf(vaData(i, j) > lnMin, lnMin, vaData(i, j))
lnMax = IIf(vaData(i, j) > lnMax, vaData(i, j), lnMax)
Next i
Next j

MsgBox lnMin & " " & lnMax

End Sub

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Nice code Dennis. :wink:

Also, as a tack-on, as we're not approaching Excel's 5461 element limitation (removed in XP :) ), we can also use the Excel Object's min and max functions to get at the min and max values. Here's a few examples:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Explicit</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Mn_MX_Value()
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> vaData, LnMax <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>, lnMin <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>, tmpAr() <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>, MyDim <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>
vaData = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).[A1:c10].Value
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ReDim</SPAN> tmpAr(1 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">UBound</SPAN>(vaData))
MyDim = 1 <SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'Desired Dimension, 1 to 3</SPAN></SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">UBound</SPAN>(vaData)
    tmpAr(i) = vaData(i, MyDim)
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN>
lnMin = Application.Min(tmpAr)
LnMax = Application.Max(tmpAr)
MsgBox lnMin & " " & LnMax
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> test()
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> MyArray(0 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> 3, 0 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> 119) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>, i <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> lnMin <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>, LnMax <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>, tmp(0 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> 119) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>, MyDim <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Integer</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = 0 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> 119
    MyArray(0, i) = i - 2: MyArray(1, i) = i * 2 + 5
    MyArray(2, i) = i * 3 + 1: MyArray(3, i) = i * 4 - 3
MyDim = 0 <SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'Desired Dimension, 0 to 3</SPAN></SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = 0 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> 119
    tmp(i) = MyArray(MyDim, i)
lnMin = Application.Min(tmp)
LnMax = Application.Max(tmp)
MsgBox lnMin & " " & LnMax
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Have nice day.

Upvote 0
Hey Nate :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Your solution gave me the following idea:

Option Explicit
Option Base 1

Sub Find_Max_Min_Value()
Dim lnData(1 To 2, 1 To 2) As Long

lnData(1, 1) = 2
lnData(2, 1) = 4
lnData(1, 2) = 5
lnData(2, 2) = 1

With Application.WorksheetFunction
Debug.Print "Max: " & .Max(lnData)
Debug.Print "Min: " & .Min(lnData)
End With

End Sub

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back