Milestones

Oaktree

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
Just an idea to throw out there, but I think it would be neat to have an "upcoming and recently achieved milestones" listing, such as Norie closing in on 20,000 posts and Pennysaver closing in on 10,000.

I don't really have any good suggestions for what "close" would mean, what the milestones should be, or how long a "recently achieved" milestone would last, but 20,000 posts is, after all, 20,000 posts.

I think this would also give our newer users a warm welcome if we brought some attention to a user's 1st, 25th, or 100th post, etc.

Again, it's just a thought, as I really have no idea what kind of beast this would be to execute.

You know, that's one thing I will just *never* understand: why post counts seem to matter so much to people. :unsure:

Edit: They don't mean anything (though in some cases a high number may show that a person has an inordinate amount of free and/or spare time that is spent online ;) ). All it is is a counter.

A higher post count does not mean that one person is of more help than a person with a lower post count. Keep in mind that a post count is a total of posts made *anywhere* on the board--including the Lounge and Test forums, not just the Questions forum(s). We would love to change it so that posts to the Lounge, etc. aren't counted, but without adding another mod to the board it is not possible to do so.

Edit x2: Now that I re-read what I wrote above, I just wanted to point out that I'm not trying to put down your idea at all. I just honestly can't figure out the attachment to post counts and kind of rambled on the idea :oops:

That said, I'm going to go ahead and move this to the 'About' forum. That's where it really should be, considering the topic.

I guess I'd make the same argument for why companies give awards for years of service. Showing up at work for 10 years is not necessarily the same as giving 10 fully productive years to the company, but there's still something to be said for being loyal to the company for that amount of time, particularly as so few offer that same loyalty.

In any event, it was just a suggestion and I certainly didn't mean to boil your blood. :eek:

In any event, it was just a suggestion and I certainly didn't mean to boil your blood. :eek:

Oh, nonono. I'm not upset about the idea. I just kind of went on a little train-of-thought bender up there :)

well - if we continue with the company comparison
usually, exceptional work at a company = promotion, bonus -etc

and there's a similar setup here - consistent exceptional posting by a member does receive recognition.

Years of service awards - they just show how long you've been around - they don't say that you're a good worker.

just a thought - just cause someones been at the same company a long time, doesn't mean they're loyal.. could be they're too lazy to move (I know someone like that.. he has a good deal - he doesn't have to work hard, but he still gets paid - and he gets away with it. why find another company to work for if he can get away with it - ok, that's my rambling.. that sitch is a very sore point with me...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parlapalli

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back