Microsoft Query Cell Reference for a field name

johnvog

I am attempting to use Microsoft Query on an excel spreadsheet that has columns for Account, Jan, Feb, Mar, etc. In the months columns is an amount. I have 2 questions.
1. Can I have a cell reference on my results page that I can use to refer to the columns with the month names.
2. I have a column that refers to a cell inside the table that is created (like B2) that displays the number as positive or negative depending on how I need it to (debit or credit). Is there a way that I can have that formula remain the same when I refresh the query and the data changes. (It gives me #ref now.)

My Query is below:

SELECT TRIM(`'Balance Sheet$'`.Account) AS 'Account', `'Balance Sheet$'`.`Jan`
FROM `'Balance Sheet$'` `'Balance Sheet$'`
WHERE (`'Balance Sheet$'`.Account Not Like '%Total %' And `'Balance Sheet$'`.Account Not Like '%Net %') AND (`'Balance Sheet$'`.`Jan`<>0)

My goals are:
A. To be able to change a cell value from say Jan to Feb so that I can refresh the query and retrieve the new values.
B. To be able to have my formula that refers to a cell inside the table created so that I do not have to recreate the formula every time I refresh the query with new data.
C. Copy and paste this data into a new table for creating the reports I need.

Thank you in advance for any help.

John Vogrin

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Thank you for the quick response. I am looking at the link that you suggested; however, I am not sure this is going to do what I need. I apologize if I was unclear.

Is it possible for me to have a cell in an excel spreadsheet that would allow me to change the field in the SELECT and WHERE clauses.

Example (without MS Query formatting)

ORIGINAL
SELECT TRIM(Account) as Account, Jan
FROM Excel Sheet
WHERE Account NOT LIKE '%Total %' AND Account NOT LIKE '%Net %' AND Jan <> 0

CHANGE
SELECT TRIM(Account) as Account, Feb
FROM Excel Sheet
WHERE Account NOT LIKE '%Total %' AND Account NOT LIKE '%Net %' AND Feb <> 0

Thank you again.

John

Upvote 0
I am beginning to think that what I am trying to do is not possible, but I will give it one more try.

Assume the value I need to use is located in Cell G1 (and the value is Jan) can I do something like this in the query:

Select Trim(Account) As Account, [G1]
From ExcelSheet
Where Account NOT Like '%Total %' AND [G1] <> 0

So, I need the parameter to set the column (field) I am wanting to use not the value I am searching for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back