Microsoft Excel Where Did They Move 3D Map Feature - 2646

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Aug 7, 2024.
Microsoft Excel Tutorial: Where is the 3D Map feature in Excel?

I am a fan of 3D Maps, formerly called Power Map, formerly called GeoFlow. But today, the feature is no longer on the Insert tab. Where did they move it?

Go to the Data Tab. Look towards the right to the Data Tools group. In that group, find the Data Model drop-down. Open that drop-down and there you will find 3D Map.

Buy Bill Jelen's latest Excel book: MrExcel 2024 Igniting Excel
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Do you hear that?
Do you hear that jingle?  It's 2024.
We haven't had to   use that jingle since 2008.
“It's a great feature…  We just can't find it anymore.” What am I talking about?  I'm talking about 3D Map, formerly known  as Power Map, formerly known as Geo Flow.  It's missing!
For the longest time,   it has been on the insert tab here just  to the right of these charts right there.  That's where it was.
Woke up the other day, not there.  Now, if you've never seen this  feature, it's an amazing feature.  Look at this 2,439 rows on that sheet.
Related to these 6962 rows on this other sheet.  And we could basically take all of that data.
And create an amazing pivot table on a map   that can be animated over time.
It's just an amazing feature.  Miraculous that Microsoft saw a  competitor, across town at Tableau.  Have this feature and spun up  the feature and it's beautiful.  Except for no one can find it anymore.
How's the jingle go?  “It's a great feature.
I just can't find it anymore.”  What is wrong with them?
Okay, so you're looking for 3D Map.  Here's how to find it.
It's not on the Insert tab anymore.  See, they had a checkbox that kind of  took the room, that took the space.  So they added checkbox in and 3D Map went away.
Where?  They had it on the Data tab.
But you can't see it on the Data   tab because they hid it.
Under this tiny little   dropdown out here in the Data Tools.
Under Data Model, there is 3D Map.  And yes, it's true that the three  3D Map does use the Data Model.  That's how I got that data from sheet one and  Sheet two without creating a relationship.  But they've moved it here.
Which is not, in my humble opinion,   the best place to do it.
But great news, there it is.  You have your answer.
You can be on your way.  But for those of you who wonder, how  did I figure out where the heck it is?  First thing I did was I came up here to  the little search box and I went 3D Map.  Oh no, it's gone.
I said 3D map and it's still there.  So I was able to get to it there.
But then how do you find out where it actually is?  The old tried and true method.
And this was going back to 2007 when   they just gave us the ribbon, right?
Right-click up here and say   Customize Quick Access Toolbar.
And then change Popular Commands to All Commands.  And then we're going to find 3D Map right here.
We're just going to hover.  And then when you hover, that tool tip shows you  it's on the Data Tab in a group called Data Tools.  And it is then under, actually, boy, it doesn't  even tell us that it's under the Data Model.  But if you look up there in Data  Tools, you're down to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  And so it's easy enough to find it.
What a crazy place to put this.  What is Microsoft thinking?
I mean, it's one place where   they have Google Sheets beat, But realize that this.  Because it uses the Data Model,  it will never run in Excel Online.  And Microsoft is so convinced  that Excel Online is the future.  So they're just going to hide it for  Win32 where no one will ever find it.  But luckily you found this video and you found it.
Thanks for stopping by.  We'll see you next time for  another net cast from MrExcel.  Well, since it is Wednesday, let's take a  listen to that great old George Wood theme   song from 2007.
Here we go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinnyDoesntKnowExcelCode

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back