Microsoft Essentials

Expiry

I was having trouble downloaded my new McAfee virus protection, and when I called to sort it out, I was told by the sales agent that I could download MS Essentials for free and that it's pretty much the same standard as any that I could buy.

Is this true?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I read about it a while back and most of the reviews I checked were fairly positive but not enough to stop me renewing my Kaspersky license.

Dom

On the grounds I'm tight-fisted, I run MSE on all my home computers and have never had a problem with it (that I know about ;))

yay for kaspersky. i have been reselling it for about 6 years now. never had anybody not like it or think they did not get value for money. have had a few people not take up the subscription after the trial period i install, and they use *something free* and in almost every case they have wanted me to return to "fix" their puta again cos they have a virus or problem. i usually find i am too busy. LOL

I use MSE. In general I believe it is considered to be on par with $$ AV programs, but you don't get all the "extras" that I don't want anyway. Prior to that I used AVG Free which also was a good product.

"The sites you visit"

isnt that the key, or more so "The rubbish ads you click on"

i have found that educating customers that "click here to get free smiley icons and loose 10kgs" really means "click here to get a trojan", and that makes a huge difference, especially if you can get through to the feral teenage know-it-alls that are generally responsible for the clicks in question.

out of interest, i have found the commercial product AdBlock Pro very good, and also for recalcitrant teens, a little tweaking of the HOSTS file can be useful too.

I switched to Kasperky a few years ago after I got a virus while using McAfee that was so deeply embedded I had to move my laptop drive to another computer to get rid of it.

No problems since then, and the three-computer license is very convenient.

I use ESET on all my Windows machines. Initially because I get it free as an MVP, but it is the most efficient and least intrusive AV/Firewall I have ever used (my wife actively noticed that she wasn't getting pestered by alerts/messages unlike some others) so I have cheerfully recommended it to family and friends, though I also suggest MSE since it seems to have good reviews and do as well as most products in tests I have seen.
The only place I use McAfee is at work because I have no choice. Only 4 virus outbreaks last year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back