merging fields?

killerleaf

Board Regular
in my table, and on the form, and everywhere else for that matter, I have a field for First Name, and a field for Last Name. However, the powers that be want the report to print out with the name showing like it was all one field.....like John Doe, instead of John..........Doe like it does now. (where the ....are spaces) How do I do this? Or can it be done?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Build it in a query.

In a query, add all the fields you wish to print on your form or report. The build a field, like:

TotalName: [First Name] & " " & [Last Name]

Then build your form/report based on the query.

The only thing to keep in mind is that you CANNOT update a calculated field. If you want to allow them to edit the name, you will have to keep it as two separate fields.

Upvote 0
ok, I am not sure about that last part; i do apologize, but I am very new at this.....

what this is, the table can stay as two fields, but then I will run the query for the report, (which is what I do anyway) and it will print the way I want it to...

Upvote 0
That's right. When you are building your query, when it comes to name, you are going to build the name, so that the expression looks somehting like what I listed above (if you are familiar with Concatenate in Excel, it is very similar).

In your query, right click in the Field line of an empty box and select Build. You can then build you expression here. For help, check out "Expression Builder" in the Access on-line help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back