Merge Cells in a Single Column Without Losing Data

Bifack

Hi. I have a small task that is similar to some of the other posting on merging, but not exactly the same. I'm trying to merge multiple cells in a single column (varying number of cells) into the first cell of that group without losing the data from the other cells. Here's an example:

Before:

___|__A__|__B__|__C__|
1__|__x1_|__y1_|_____|
2__|_____|__y2_|_____|
3__|_____|__y3_|_____|
4__|__x2_|__y4_|_____|
5__|__x3_|__y5_|_____|
6__|_____|__y6_|_____|

After:

___|__A__|__B__|__C__|
1..|..x1.|..y1.|.....|
...|.....|..y2.|.....|
___|_____|__y3_|_____|
2__|__x2_|__y4_|_____|
3..|..x3.|..y5.|.....|
___|_____|__y6_|_____|

*Ignore the "." - I can't get the editor to recognize multiple spaces

Is this possible? I want to create the line-breaks between the merged values, and I'd like it to know which values to merge based on which cells in Column A are populated. I REALLY need to learn some VBA...

Thanks,
Bif

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi Bifack,

Yes, this is possible. I assume you would like a macro that would for example merge rows 1-3 into 1 row when you select A1:C3 and run the macro (then you would do the same for 5-6--except that they would be 3-4 after merging 1-3).

I don't have time to provide this code at the moment, but if I get time I will supply it tomorrow unless someone else beats me to it.

Damon

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I'm trying to do! As the cells are merged, the leftover blank rows (e.g. 2 and 3 in the example) would be deleted. Since I can always go back and filter out all the blank rows, that's not as big of a deal. However, I don't want B1-B3 to merge into one cell, but that one cell span three rows. Make sense?

Is it possible to take it a step further and either:
A. have the macro check for data in column A and merge all the data in column B until the next non-NULL value is found in column A? Then the macro could run through the entire spreadsheet all at once.
B. if option A can't happen, can the macro be tied to a button or hot-key so that it can be run without using the menus? If it's not obvious, I'm a macro newbie.

My current file has close to 1000 rows, so finding a way to ease this process is ideal.

Thanks,
Bif

Upvote 0
Hi again Bif,

Please let me know if this does what you want. It only merges column B since you didn't mention anything about other columns beyond that--I hope this is what you intended.

Sub MergeA()
'Merge cells in col B based on empty cells in col A
Dim iRow As Long
Dim mRow As Long
For iRow = 2 To [b65536].End(xlUp).Row
If IsEmpty(Cells(iRow, 1)) Then
'take value in column B and merge with value in row above
mRow = Cells(iRow, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Cells(mRow, 2) = Cells(mRow, 2) & vbLf & Cells(iRow, 2)
End If
Next iRow

'Delete empty rows
For iRow = [b65536].End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
If IsEmpty(Cells(iRow, 1)) Then Rows(iRow).Delete
Next iRow

'align col A cells to top
Columns(1).VerticalAlignment = xlTop
End Sub

This macro process the entire the entire column in one step.

Upvote 0
Damon,
You rock! :pray: That works perfect! I guess I understand VBA a little better than I originally thought, because your code actually made sense to me once I studied it for a little while. I owe you a case of beer as you just saved me about 2 days of manual labor in the Excel!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fifa2020

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back