Memory in Dell XPS Tower

sdruley

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I bought a new Dell XPS 8900 tower that came with 32 GB of RAM. I installed another 16GB stick in slot 3 of 4 and the computer will not recognize more than 32 GB. Should I remover the extra stick before it overheats? I went to F2 on power up and it told me that the extra stick is not being used.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
You should first have checked how much RAM you computer can address. 32Gb may or may not be the limit. You should then have checked whether it requires RAM slots to be used in pairs (a typical requirement), whether it requires you to have the same amount of RAM in each pair (another typical requirement) and whether, if all slots are used, it requires you to have the same amount of RAM in all slots.

What makes you think your computer will overheat with your current configuration? More to the point, you should consider whether you really need so much RAM. Most users get by quite happily with 4Gb.

The tower should operate with the greater memory if your are using an operating system that can address the bigger range, i.e 64bit, you do need to check how the system allows memory to be added

The Dell website used to have a memory configuration tool, but I'm not sure any more. At the very least, you should be able to look up your system specs there.

thanks to all for your input. I am honored to have received input from 3 moderators. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFromAustin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back