Meaningless Subject headings

BigC

I think this is an old chesnut, but .... would be possible to include the following text, or something similar in the Subject field of new posts, which disappears when/as the user types their entry:

"Type here a meaningful subject heading which describes your problem"

so as to discourage headings such as "Really stupid question", "I'm a newbie", "Probably easy", etc which are realy annoying.

Thanks

I know they're annoying, but even if we did change the title of the subject field, there's nothing to stop them from entering such things.

Sorry :(

even if we did change the title of the subject field, there's nothing to stop them from entering such things.

If you are interested Kristy.

We just implemented some code on Ozgrid that prevents words such as

Urgent
Help
Excel

and a few more from being used in thread titles to try to make them more relevant...

If you are interested I can PM you the contact details of the guy who wrote the code.

To be honest, I have nothing to do with any code that goes into the site. I'm just an admin with no way to make any changes other than what's available in the admin controls :)

If I find a problem or think of something that I think would be interesting to look into, I just tell starl and she takes it through her channels from there :)

Talking about me behind my back? :p

Anyway, that is a good idea - I'll mention it to our progger.
I looked through the MODS at the group and didn't see any.. so...
but, I do like that idea...

Just a thought, but if this is implemented, I think we should still allow the word "Excel" in subject headings. Sure, some people use that one word as their subject line (for some reason), but there are also cases where it can and should be allowed within the text of the subject--something like "Copying data from Word to Excel" for example.

Von Pookie said:
Just a thought, but if this is implemented, I think we should still allow the word "Excel" in subject headings. Sure, some people use that one word as their subject line (for some reason), but there are also cases where it can and should be allowed within the text of the subject--something like "Copying data from Word to Excel" for example.

Yeah, and you could almost make a case for help, as in --

Code:
Help with VLOOKUP returns

A programmed solution would be ideal if it can be done without being too restrictive (as several posters above have alluded to), however all I was trying to do was get SOMETHING in front of the poster every time a new thread is opened.
A blank line with no prompt just invites trouble, whereas gentle persuasion may at least steer users in the right direction.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing some enhancement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back