max locks error message

wanabxlnerd

I have recently stripped my computer and now have the Windows XP OS. However, when I try to run my program in Access it does not work anymore. I get an error message about increasing the Max locks registry per file. The program (in VisualBasic) works fine on a different computer. I get a message to dowload MS Jet 4.0 which I have tried to do as well , but this is not working either. Any ideas? Thanks much! :confused:

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi,

If you haven't solved this problem yet, there might be some useful info from MS either here, here or here.

Warning : Before attempting to use the registry editor, I recommend you create a Windows XP system restore point in case it is a disaster.

In a nutshell, you need to use the registry editor (Start -> Run -> regedit -Ok), navigate your way to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\x.x\Engines\

where x.x is your current jet version number (3.5 perhaps?) and in there you will find many options for various external data sources (e.g. Jet x.x, Excel, Lotus, Paradox, Text, ODBC etc.) - find the one that you are attempting to use in your database (I presume you are linking to external data, if not look at the Jet x.x) and you will find a key on the right hand side of the screen for "MaxLocksperFile" - double click this, change the view to decimal and in the value data enter a number that is significantly larger than the default value (9500 might be the default, if so try say 20000).

Exit the Registry, restart Access and try again.

HTH, Andrew :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back