Match or Count Formula

lorenzoc

Hey everyone.

here is the situation I am dealing with. I have well data that starts at different times arranged by month over several years

Jan 12 Feb 12 Mar 12 Apr 12 May 12 June 12 July 12 August 12 Sept 12 Oct 12 Dec 12 Jan 13 Feb 13 ETC

Well A 5 7 9 4 3 5 10 11 4 3 3
Well B 4 10 5 6 5 5

I would like a forumla that can identify where the first entry for the well is, and make calculations based on that number. For example, I would like to know that well A first entry is 5 (march 12), and then using that result (5) figure out how much that number has changed in 6 months.
so excel would then take that 5 (march 12)-10 (sept 12)/10(sept12). I hope there is a way to do this. Thanks so much. They actual month names dont matter just the figures.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Example (with no error checking):

=INDEX(B2:N2,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(B2:N2<>"",),FALSE)+6)-INDEX(B2:N2,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(B2:N2<>"",),FALSE))

Upvote 0
Andrew thanks for the response,

here is what my sheet looks like

I would like excel to return the first month will a number, but not the name of the month, the actual result. so in cell B2 i would like the formula to return the first month number and calculate the 6 month change. I will eventually expand this to do a 12 month change and so fourth. Thanks, Lorenzo
JanFebMarAprMayJuneJulyAugSepOctNovDec
Well AFormula561057891056
Well BFormula351

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Andrew, I would like to return the number of the first month and use it for further calculations, those calculations being seeing how much it changes after a certian amount of time IE 6 months.

thanks so much. formula above works for name

Upvote 0
Example:

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1PosJanFebMarAprMayJuneJulyAugSepOctNovDec
2Well A3561057891056
3Well B10351
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2=MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(C2:N2<>"",),FALSE)
B3=MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(C3:N3<>"",),FALSE)

Upvote 0
Okay, so theres a little confusion, i do not need the column number (3 or 10) i need to return that actual value (5, 3) does this make sense? is this possible?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back