Markbook Form

n107jkx

Board Regular
I am creating a database of students scores for my department at school so we can track them as they move through the school and i have a simple problem:

I have three tables, one for students, one for tests and one to link the two via the students marks in their tests. Instead of entering data from scratch, i.e. entering student and test numbers and then the mark, i would like a form that will allow me to enter all of the students scores in the same test at once. This could be like a markbook table with all the names down the left and the scores to the right. Is this possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
You'll need a main form based on the Tests table. This will contain all the basic info about the test -- subject, date, grade, examiner, etc. Place these fields in the top half of the form, leaving plenty of room for the subform below. Let's call this form frmTests. Save and close.
The subform will be based on the Results table (your join table). It only needs 3 fields: TestID, StudentID and Mark or Grade. You can use the Form Wizard to build this -- select Results as the data source, transfer TestID, StudentID (not the names -- this is important) and Grade, select Datasheet as the default view, and OK. Save this as subResults.
Now go into Design view on subResults. Click on the StudentID field and delete it. Leave the label -- it's handy. With the Control Wizard on, drag a ComboBox onto the form where StudentID was. Say that you want to base it on the Results table, and transfer across StudentID and Student Name. elect to hide the first column. Opt to store the data in StudentID when prompted. Save the form and close it.
OK, now the cool bit. Open frmTest in Design view. Restore the screen view so you can see the database window. Click ONCE on the subResults icon, drag it onto frmTest, and release. That makes subResults a subform of frmTest. Right-click the Properties of the subform to see that the 2 forms are linked (Master and Child fields should both be TestID). Save the form, view the data and you should have a subform below with 3 fields visible -- TestID, StudentID and Grade. StudentID will be a drop-down list.

Denis

Upvote 0
Excellent

That works just like you said.

I created two combo boxes - one for forename and one for surname, as I couldn't find a way of linking up a new text box to display the forename without using code.

Upvote 0
Any chance of seeing this in the flesh as in a databse example.

I'm looking at doing something within our school for the Principal and you seem to have hit the same snag as myself but I'm not very familiar with Access

Regards

Declan Barry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samwalrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back