March Madness

thom5962

What happened to all the tips for March Madness? I was looking forward to learn how to build a March Madness spreadsheet, but all I got so far is drop -down lists.

Any more of the process coming?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Thanks, I've tried to do this myself for the past 2 years, but I always get stuck on a leaderboard sheet and the calculation on the number of potential points left.

Thanks for all the great tips!

Here is how I handle that....

Until a game is played, I have a formula that builds a text formula of all the possible teams who can win a game. For example, one of tonights games consists of the possibilities of "CT,WA". (Each team has a 2-character code).

The formulas for later rounds continue to build this text string. Right now, the formula for the final game consists of this value: "LS,TX,ME,LA,CT,WA,GM,WS,VI,BC,FL,GE". This indicates that any of LSU, UCLA, Texas, Memphis, UCLA, UConn, Washington, Geo Mason, Wichita State, Villanova, Boston College, Florida, Georgetown are still valid possible winners for the final game.

Each text string is comprised of a formula that joins the possible winners from the previous 2 games. =BL4&","&BL5.

Tonight, if UConn beats Washington, I will overwrite the formula for Round 3 Game 5 with CT. This will make the possible teams for Round 6 Game 1 have one less possible entry.

I have a large matrix of everyone's picks. To figure out if player 14 still has a possible chance of winning Round 6 Game 1, I use =FIND(BL27,BL$7). This looks for this player's pick within that long text string of the possible winners. If it is found, I get a number. If it is not found, I get a #VALUE! error. So, the actual formula to track a known future loss becomes:
=IF(ISERR((FIND(BL27,BL$7,1)-1)),1,0)

This will make more sense when I include screen shots this weekend.

Bill

I've used a similar strategy, creating a list of "losers" after each round.

I use a different convention for keeping track of Teams.

East1
East2
South16

I also use a naming convention for each game,
East101
East202
West 401 etc.

The 100's are rd 1, into the rd of 32
The 500's are into the Semi's, but I also have a Final Four Sheet where the games are called SemiEastWest, and SemiNorthSouth. The final winner is called champion.

I use lookupfunctions and a table to return this years actual team names. This year, I went a little crazy and used userforms for entering the brackets, and allowing for upset picks for each round. Its not at 100% yet, but it scores correctly, enters data correctly, and most of the statistics are working. If anyone wants to take a look at it and give me soem feedback, just pm your e-mail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve T

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back