Managing multimple Contacts

Perfx

Board Regular
This is my first attempt at a database, so fogive my ignorance. I am creating a customer database for my company. It's most basic function is as a rolodex / phone book. Several of the companies we deal with have multiple contacts. For example, we may have a designer at the main office, and 2 superintedants in the feild, one for one end of the and the other for everything else. How can keep from haveing 3 records in my table for these 3 people who are a part of the same company? Or is this a non issue, that i really should just let go? Thanks in Advance.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
How can keep from haveing 3 records in my table for these 3 people who are a part of the same company?

You should have 2 seperate tables - one for companies and one for contacts.

The Companies table would have CompanyID (a unique ID normally generated using Autonumber), CompanyName, CompanyAddress and any other info required for the company itself.

The Contacts table would have ContactID(again a unique ID normally generated using Autonumber), CompanyID (a 'foreign key' taken from the Companies table which identifies the contact's company), ContactName, ContactTitle, (superintedent etc), ContactPhoneNo etc

These tables would have a One (Companies table) to Many (Contacts table) relationship on CompanyID.

So you only store the information for each company once and only store the contact information once as well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back