Making a Grade Book in Excel 2007

HenryDCase

I'm trying to make a grade book in Excel 2007. So far, I have what I need, but I'm trying to make one step a little easier. I need a formula that can find the value in one column, look up a specific number based off that, and tally the totals between three columns while dropping the lowest score.

In-class Essay 1In-class Essay 2In-class Essay 3Total Extra Credit
grade26152017
extra credit earned(+10)(+4)(+7)

<tbody>
</tbody>

So, if a student gets the following points on these essays (the numbers along the 'grade' line), they get the amount of extra credit listed below (listed in the 'extra credit earned' line). The 'extra credit earned' line does NOT appear on my grade sheet.

The formula needs to read the grade earned, find the extra credit earned, total the three extra credit scores, and then drop the lowest extra credit score if there are three grades listed--otherwise, the total would be between the two grades with nothing dropped. The student above would receive 17 points of extra credit.

I know this is a complicated formula. Is it even possible? Thanks for any help you can give!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hello Henry

Is this what you wanted?
Arbeitsblatt mit dem Namen 'Tabelle1'
ABCDE
1 In-class Essay 1In-class Essay 2In-class Essay 3
2min. grade261520
3extra credit earned1047
5 In-class Essay 1In-class Essay 2In-class Essay 3Total Extra Credit
6grade27172417
7grade23202211

<colgroup><col style="width: 28ptpx"><col width="94,5pt"><col width="74,25pt"><col width="74,25pt"><col width="74,25pt"><col width="85,5pt"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

ZelleFormel
E6=SUMPRODUCT(LARGE((B6:D6>=B$2:D$2)*B$3:D$3,{1;2}))

<colgroup><col style="width: 40ptpx"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Diese Tabelle wurde mit Tab2Html (v2.4.1) erstellt. ©Gerd alias Bamberg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Erm, not exactly (though I'm not sure I completely understand your formula). The extra credit earned isn't in the grade book. The idea is to have Excel look up the amount of extra credit, total it, and drop the lowest score.

ABCD
1essay #1essay #2essay #3total extra credit

<tbody>
</tbody>

I experimented a little and got this far:

=SUM(LOOKUP(A2,{0,16,21,26},{"0","4","7","10"}),LOOKUP(B2,{0,16,21,26},{"0","4","7","10"}),LOOKUP(C2,{0,16,21,26},{"0","4","7","10"}))

Using this formula, the final result is 21 points of extra credit. This is the correct total of the three scores; however, I need it to drop the lowest score of the three cells, as well. Unfortunately, when I place a -MIN(A2,B2,C2) at the end, it only gives 3 points of extra credit. It should give the student 17 points.

The question, then, is where do I place the -MIN formula, if I can even place that within the current formula. Or is there another way to do this I am unaware of?

Upvote 0
Hello Henry

{0,16,21,26},{"0","4","7","10"}
You didn't show these values before.

Arbeitsblatt mit dem Namen 'Tabelle3'
ABCDE
1In-class Essay 1In-class Essay 2In-class Essay 3Total Extra Credit
2grade27172417
3grade23202214
4grade18262317

<tbody>
</tbody>

ZelleFormel
E2=SUM(LOOKUP(LARGE($B2:$D2,{1;2}),{0;16;21;26},{0;4;7;10}))

<tbody>
</tbody>
Diese Tabelle wurde mit Tab2Html (v2.4.1) erstellt. ©Gerd alias Bamberg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Nevermind! I made a quick adjustment to my gradesheet and now the formula you provided works perfectly! :biggrin: I needed to put zeroes in the cells with no grade until my students actually write those essays, but the formula calculates the extra credit correctly. Thank you so much for your help, shift-del!
(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back