make table query converting field from fixed with 6 decimal places to scientific notation

ChristineMD

Board Regular
Once again, I have a problem that seems to occur in numerous flavors all over the web, but I cannot find solution to my specific problem. Drives me crazy that Access messes up the simplest things!

I have a make table query calculating some revenue metrics. Query results are correct. I've formatted them as fixed with 6 decimals in the query. If I view the results of the query (without ! running) the results are correct.

When I run the make table query, the results in the table are now in scientific notation

Even if I fomat the table field how I want it to be, and and do an append query instead of a make table query the numbers still are converted!

Just seems like this shoudl not happen. Or be easier to fix than five pages of code!

I played around with the format function, but it was so rigid, sometimes these results have a significant digit to the left of the decimal, and sometimes not - and that didnt' seem to work correctly - but it's definitely possible I was doing something wrong there

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Christine

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi,

I would recommend do not use a make table query if you need to preserve your field properties (or table indexes). Instead prefer to use two queries in turn:

1. Delete the old data from the existing table
  2. Insert (append) the new data to the table

As far as I know there is no way to define the formats of fields in a make table operation - though typically they will follow the data types of the data in the query (if possible) - beyond that, all bets are off. I think generally they will also be created without a primary key which is generally something you want in most/all of your tables, even if it's just an autonumber ID.

ξ

Upvote 0
Thanks Xenou - I have used that method upon occasion - after the end user reviewed the report she decided she didn't need quite so many decimal places afterall, which seems to have resolved the issue. Which seems really weird to me, since Access likes to add oodles of decimal values to calculated fields when you don't specify any format, but oh well!

Upvote 0
Which seems really weird to me, since Access likes to add oodles of decimal values to calculated fields when you don't specify any format, but oh well!

That crossed my mind as well! One of life's mysteries I guess.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freddocp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back