Mailing Addresses

Saberan

Hello, and thank you for your time. I have a few questions in reguards to mailing addresses within my database.

1. The database in question is currently being used to track customers for a pool company. It was decided that of all the information, the address is the one unique field that will never change. With that being said, are there any suggestion on how to restrict the entry of an address into the database as to not allow multiple variations of the same address (ie 123 W Street Road, 123 West Street Rd, etc)?

2. Since the primary area that the addresses will be in is contained to one town Id also like to implement an interactive map of the town into the database where each property is highlighted based on the pools current status (construction, open, closed, maint, etc.)
I started doing this by manually creating a form and drawing lines for roads and property lines, labels with conditional formatting, and I even went as far as hiding a control button on each property so that if you clicked on a property a form with the properties details would open. This attempt met abrupt failure as access 2007 doesn't allow for curved shapes in any convienient way that I can find. Is there a better way to implement a feature like this, or is it simply not a possibility?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Saberan,

Is this is in the USA?

I will assume USA for my responses.

... I have a few questions in reguards to mailing addresses within my database.

First it is important to understand that in the USA a mailing address is not the same thing as the physical address.

1. The database in question is currently being used to track customers for a pool company. It was decided that of all the information, the address is the one unique field that will never change. With that being said, are there any suggestion on how to restrict the entry of an address into the database as to not allow multiple variations of the same address (ie 123 W Street Road, 123 West Street Rd, etc)?

It is a false assumption that the mailing or physical address will never change. Historically the mailing address is the one that changes the most. What probably will never change is the Lat/Long.

To insure uniform address entry for mailing address I created an Address builder (similar to a Pop-up calculator) that follows the USPS standards. I also validate the address with the USPS.

2. Since the primary area that the addresses will be in is contained to one town Id also like to implement an interactive map of the town into the database where each property is highlighted based on the pools current status (construction, open, closed, maint, etc.)
I started doing this by manually creating a form and drawing lines for roads and property lines, labels with conditional formatting, and I even went as far as hiding a control button on each property so that if you clicked on a property a form with the properties details would open. This attempt met abrupt failure as access 2007 doesn't allow for curved shapes in any convienient way that I can find. Is there a better way to implement a feature like this, or is it simply not a possibility?

What do you mean by interactive map? What do you want he user to be able to do interactively from the map?

To have interactive mapping you should consider using a mapping solution. I use Google Earth and Google Maps from Access.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckrings

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back