Macro wonders ..

BarbE

Hi everyone!

I need to "break" into the code of an Access db of unknown origin and right now it looks like this is a bit above my level of Access know-how, so I'm set to learn lots. Always good. But I need a pointer into the right direction - hope you can help me there:

I know you can have macros inside of macros but I do not understand how you can have macros in a macro that do not show up in the "macros" section of the db. Where the heck is the code stored??? Thanks to your previous discussions I could export the macro to VBA script, so at least I now see what is happening. I have lots of functions and macros but I don't know how I could change a thing there (which I will need to do, since demands have changed).

So my question is basically: just how is it possible to write "invisible" macros?? (and how do _I_write them??)

I really appreciate any help you might have for me, thanks a bunch!!!

Barbara :confused:

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
My guess would be that whatever code is being executed is being stored in Modules. The thing that you need to realize is that once you get into writing your own code, Macros will be almost useless to you; you will exclusively be using Modules.

Upvote 0
Thanks, yes, I know - personally I try to avoid macros when I can. Easier to do things in modules, it's more explicit. But the guys (or gals) didn't write anything in a module. No trace of the macros there that they call up in they super-macro. Can you hide macros in Access?????

Thanks!

Barb :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Macro's can be set to "Hidden" you can make them visable again with >Tools>Options>View and select "Show Hidden Objects"

Macro's can also have multiple names in each macro that can be called so you may have to open them all up and look for names inside

HTh

Peter

Upvote 0
Also, once you have the macros you can convert them to code (not very good code, but a start...)

Select the macro
File | Export | Save As | Module
Follow the prompts. You'll have a new module called yourmacronameConverted

Denis

Upvote 0
Hi Peter!

This sounds like it would help a lot - only problem is that I am using a German version of Excel and I can't find any "tools" here, SIGH. Is this part of "Edit", the toolbox, options, anything??

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Barb

bat17 said:
Macro's can be set to "Hidden" you can make them visable again with >Tools>Options>View and select "Show Hidden Objects"

Macro's can also have multiple names in each macro that can be called so you may have to open them all up and look for names inside

HTh

Peter

Upvote 0
SydneyGeek said:
Also, once you have the macros you can convert them to code (not very good code, but a start...)

Select the macro

Denis

Hi Denis!

Yes, this helps a lot - at least I can now see what the guys did! Thanks!

Barb

Upvote 0
SydneyGeek said:

Select the macro
In researching this (externally) I keep seeing this recommendation, but don't see anything like it in A2000 SP-3. In case anyone else has trouble finding it, I get it at
Tools/Macro/Convert Macro to Visual Basic

This is only available after closing the macro to be exported, and highlighting its name.

Upvote 0
BarbE said:
Hi Peter!

This sounds like it would help a lot - only problem is that I am using a German version of Excel and I can't find any "tools" here, SIGH. Is this part of "Edit", the toolbox, options, anything??

In case someone else is having similar probs:

Just figured out where it is: You need to go add "options" for the menu "Ansicht" - then it's easy.

Doesn't look like this makes my macros visible again, weird. I guess it's easiest if I just rewrite the whole darn thing. Needs some improving anyway.

Best

Barbara

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back