Macro to scroll to the last coloured cell in a spreadsheet

paulyankson

Hi,
A question for the assembled Brains Trust:

- I have a personal spreadsheet
- let's say the range is A1:E200
- the cells A1:E100 have a yellow background that I have manually coloured in
- the cells A101:E200 don't have any coloured background
- all cells have data in them so I can't use a command to just go to the last populated cell in the column
- I need a macro command to move down to the last cell in the column that is coloured yellow
- eg: move down to cell A100 in the column and stop there
- a couple of days later one extra row will be highlighted with a yellow background
- eg: A1:E101 now
- so I'll need the cursor to utomatically move to the latest yellow cell that is coloured yellow
- eg: move down to cell A101 in the column and stop there

I'm using this macro at the moment ..... but it obviously takes me to the last empty cell in the entire sheet, ignoring the coloured background.

Thanks for any pointers!
Paul

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' sort au page, first by K column descending, then by E column ascending. then move down to first vacant spot in A column.
'

'
    Range("A8:A20").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
    Range("A8:B3511").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Range("A8:K3511").Select
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("au").Sort.SortFields.Clear
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("au").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("K8:K3511"), _
        SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("au").Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=Range("E8:E3511"), _
        SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
    With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("au").Sort
        .SetRange Range("A8:K3511")
        .Header = xlGuess
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    Range("A8:A8").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
    Range("A8").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also, when posting vba code in the forum, please use the available code tags. It makes your code much easier to read/debug & copy. My signature block below has more details. I have added the tags for you this time. 😊

Assuming that your yellow is vbYellow try this. The code assumes that there will be at least one cell in column A that is coloured vbYellow

VBA Code:
Sub LastYellow()
  Application.FindFormat.Clear
  Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = vbYellow
  Columns("A").Find(What:="", After:=Range("A1"), SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=True).Activate
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also, when posting vba code in the forum, please use the available code tags. It makes your code much easier to read/debug & copy. My signature block below has more details. I have added the tags for you this time. 😊

Assuming that your yellow is vbYellow try this. The code assumes that there will be at least one cell in column A that is coloured vbYellow

VBA Code:
Sub LastYellow()
  Application.FindFormat.Interior.Color = vbYellow
  Columns("A").Find(What:="", After:=Range("A1"), SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=True).Activate
End Sub
Hi Peter_SSs - wow - thank you so much! This is exactly what I was after and it works exactly as intended. Very much indebted 2U. Have been trying to resolve this for some time. Best regards from Australia, Paul.

Upvote 0
You’re welcome. (I’m from Australia too :))

Upvote 0
paulyankson,

Please note: When selecting a post as the solution, please select the actual original post that contains the solution, and not your own reply acknowledging that some other post is the solution. I have gone ahead and updated that on this thread for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back