Macro to default particular workbook to US number convention (ie, X,XXX.00)

MM977

I have a file that was prepared by me using the correct :)laugh:) number convention of £X,XXX.00 however my European colleagues prefer to use X.XXX,00. Typically Windows and/or Excel would override these preferences and reset to the user defaults, however my workbook has numerous examples where this isn't working. I can elaborate if you wish but I don't think it's relevant.

Neither I or my colleagues are interested in changing our personal preferences.

I would therefore like to include a macro to execute upon opening to default this particular workbook to the US format.

Also I should point out that basic Excel formulas such as NUMBERVALUE and TEXT are not helpful in this instance.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
My first suspicion is that the specific offenders are Text, so won't change like numeric values.
That would explain values with both formats in a workbook at the same time.

The use of System separators or optional custom separators should be global to the application and all files opened.

File/Options/Advanced - Use System Seperators

Upvote 0
My first suspicion is that the specific offenders are Text, so won't change like numeric values.
That would explain values with both formats in a workbook at the same time.

The use of System separators or optional custom separators should be global to the application and all files opened.

File/Options/Advanced - Use System Seperators
Thanks for your reply.

The offending numbers are contained in charts, in particular the Y axis and the data labels. The data labels are linked to a cell which contains a concatenation of value and percentage. I need these to remain presentable using both US and Euro number convention.

Remember using the system defaults isn't an option given neither myself or my colleagues wish to change our preferences.

Upvote 0
The offending numbers are contained in charts, in particular the Y axis and the data labels.

I think when Excel creates the Chart, it makes those items Text Objects.
So what you may need is a Macro to recreate the Charts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back