Macro to copy worksheet/formatting, sequential naming

msk37

I'm a complete newbie to VBScript, and I've had no luck after about a week of searching and trial-and-error attempts...

I am creating a quality check spreadsheet where a user submits data into a cell range. I'm trying to minimize the risk of user error, so I'm automating just about everything in the document and locking everything else. I'll try to keep my questions as organized as possible:

Page generation

• Linked to a button at the bottom of each page (worksheets are printed off and I'd like to keep them at 1 page length per sheet).
  • Name the new sheet sequentially (Page1, Page2, etc - Sheet1, Sheet2, etc also works)
  • Copy the first page into the newly generated one (formatting, equations, etc)
I've pretty much been searching around for code that looks like it would work, copying it, and tweaking it to meet my needs. Haven't had too much luck at combining the separate elements though. For example: I was able to create a copied page with a button and was able to name it using Application.InputBox code, but I couldn't automate the naming process with a MessageBox. I've tried a For loop (i=2, create the page, Next i), but that doesn't work when I don't know how many pages I will need from the start.​

Cursor movement on subsequent pages

• Within a specific range of cells, move the cursor over, then over/down (I got this part just fine using the .offset code)
  • Apply this to every sheet in the workbook (including newly generated sheets)
I wasn't able to get the code to work on newly generated sheets. It worked fine when I was in Sheet1 (with Sheet1 code), but when I tried applying the Worksheet_Change to the workbook using Workbook_Change, the code went seemingly ignored in new sheets.​

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong (unfortunately, I was doing this on my laptop, which I'm not supposed to bring into work- I can post the code later if needed). I'd absolutely love if someone could write up fresh code (mine is a mess/broken and I'm kind of embarrassed to post it), but I'm also willing to take advice/hints/whatever I can get.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Update (didn't see an edit option on the original post):
I played around with some code and started from scratch again. It is much neater than my prior mess.
'Module1
Sub AddPage()

'========== GET USER INPUT ==========

'Ask user if they want to generate another page for measurements
Dim SheetQuestion As Integer
SheetQuestion = MsgBox("Do you want to add another page?", vbYesNo, "Add Page?")

'If user selects No, cancel the script. Otherwise, proceed to PAGE CREATION.
If SheetQuestion = vbNo Then
MsgBox "You selected No." & vbCrLf & "No new sheet will be added.", 64, "Cancel"​
Exit Sub​
End If

'========== PAGE CREATION ==========

'Copy the cells and formatting of Page 1
Worksheets("Page 1").Cells.Copy

'Creates a new sheet arranged at the end
Dim NewSheet
Set NewSheet = Sheets.Add(After:=Sheets(Worksheets.Count), Count:=1, Type:=xlWorksheet)
NewSheet.Name = "Page " & Worksheets.Count

'Creates content on new sheet
With ActiveSheet
.Paste 'Pastes copied cells (appearance, formatting, and formulas)
'.Goto Range("D18:G41", "I18:K41").ClearContents 'Clears old data, time/date stamps, and user input
'.Goto Range("A16"), False 'Scrolls down to the table
'.Goto Range("D18"), True 'Selects the first diameter cell for recording more data
End With

End Sub
So far, this works pretty well towards what I want when placed in a Module rather than the Workbook sections. It asks the user if they want to create a new page, names it automatically and sequentially, and copies/pastes the cells from Page 1 into any new page. I am still working on tweaking the selection criteria in the new page (the commented out areas towards the end of the above code) to scroll down to the table and select the first data entry cell. That code worked perfectly before, but is having troubles in the new script. I'm sure I'll work it out soon enough.

I'm still unsure on how to best call the cursor movement. Should I do it in a Module or the Workbook? Or write the sub as a Workbook_Change or Workbook_Open? I'm pretty clueless on that part. It worked fine when I applied it as a change in the sheet code, but I need it through the whole workbook. Shamelessly 'borrowed' code I found elsewhere was pretty hit-and-miss for me. I'll keep plugging away at it since I usually solve it only after I ask for help...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back