Macro to copy variable length table and paste numerous times in the same sheet

rynardc

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, might be something very easy, but been struggling with it for a while. I have a range of cells that gets populated by another macro, so the range of cells could be varied based on inputs from other macro. I need to copy the range of cells that was created by the other macro and paste it a couple of time below the last entry in the previous range, with a blank row inbetween. Hope this makes sense

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Welcome to the Board!

So much of this is dependent on your data structures. It would be most helpful if you could show us a sample of your data, and expected results (if you have any sensitive data, just "dummy it up" first before posting it).

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

So much of this is dependent on your data structures. It would be most helpful if you could show us a sample of your data, and expected results (if you have any sensitive data, just "dummy it up" first before posting it).

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
Hi
Thanks for the reply, it is actually not a very complex spreadsheet, the cells in question that needs to be copied basically have a row for the headings and then each row populated below the heading with the team info. So basically the headings will be Team Name, Skip Name, Points etc. I have a macro that allows Teams to be captured from a main sheet and then this macro populates these rows with the info. Once all the teams have been captured i just need to replicate the entries 5 or more times depending on how many rounds will be played.

Upvote 0
excel.jpg

excel.jpg

So Marked in yellow gets populated by the other Macro, marked in blue is what i`m trying to achieve with the new Macro, so however many fields are in the yellow part needs to be copied below and the Round count incremented

Upvote 0
Try this:
VBA Code:
Sub MyCopy()

Dim lr As Long
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim n As Long
    Dim i As Long
    Dim r As Long

'   Find last row in column A with data
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

'   Set range to copy
    Set rng = Range("A2:G" & lr)

'   Prompt user for how many copies to make
    On Error GoTo err_fix
    n = InputBox("How many copies do you want to make?")
    On Error GoTo 0

'   Verify they entered a valid number greater than or equal to 1
    If n < 1 Then
        GoTo err_fix
    End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'   Loop through copies
    For i = 1 To n
'       Find row to place next entry on
        r = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 2
'       Copy/paste original range
        rng.Copy Cells(r, "A")
'       Update header
        Cells(r, "A").Value = "Round " & i + 1
    Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Exit Sub

err_fix:
    MsgBox "You have not entered a valid integer greater than 0", vbOKOnly, "ENTRY ERROR!"

End Sub

Upvote 0
I can see that there is already the answer, but as I wrote the code (a bit similar), I'll show it.

You have not mentioned how this code shall be trigerred, nor what is the number of rounds - may be it is related to number of teams?

You can add a line:
VBA Code:
Call test
in your original macro (probably just above End Sub statement) to have this code invoked automatically.

If the number of last round is hnown, you may use it in the text of the code. so the third line of below Sub could be replaced with
VBA Code:
howmany = 3
if your expected result is exactly as shown on screenshots.

And the code itself:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long, howmany As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
howmany = CInt(InputBox("Give number of the last round?"))
For i = 2 To howmany
  Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(2, 0) = "Round " & i
  Range("A4:G" & lr).Copy Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(2, 0)
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Guys, many thanks for the replies. I want to automate the duplication process using a macro that is assigned to a button on the main page, so basically once all the teams have been captured using a form i created that is using another macro to basically populate the teams. Once all the teams have been populated i want to then use the new macro to just copy all the teams dependant on the number of rounds ,which might be a different number each time. Unfortunately i will now be giving away my inexperience with this asking my next question ,but how do i assign the VBA code you pasted to a macro ?

Upvote 0
Ok, so managed to figure out how to assign the VBA code to a macro, sorry for this. Next question if i may, how do i change the Tab or Sheet that this macro will be applied to as my form with the button calling the macro is on a different sheet than the sheet i want it applied

Upvote 0
You may add just after last Dim ..... line in both codes
VBA Code:
Sheets("Name_of_Your_Sheet_like_Sheet1").Activate

or use such a construction:

VBA Code:
Sub test2()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long, howmany As Long
with Sheets("YourSheetName")
  lr = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  howmany = CInt(InputBox("Give number of the last round?"))
  For i = 2 To howmany
    .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(2, 0) = "Round " & i
    .Range("A4:G" & lr).Copy .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(2, 0)
  Next i
end with
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmrwnx89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back