Macro-driven workbooks for download

goconnor

I have developed a number of macro-driven workbooks (Excel 2003) which are designed to assist parents help their kids learn basic mathematical concepts. For example, one has multiple macro buttons, each of which will present the user with a different table of mathematical exercises for completion – all driven off a random number generator to ensure a constant stream of different exercises. Correct answers will turn cells green, incorrect red, etc, and a progressive score sheet will inform the child how he or she is going.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
In preparing download instructions, and in particular explaining the "Enable macro" security issue, I have become concerned that most parents will not bother as the instructions look too complex. I have researched the issue of digital certificates and signatures, although I confess to being a novice in this field. (I have built many macro-driven workbooks before, but only for personal use, so this macro security issue has never been a problem.)
<o:p></o:p>
My understanding is that, even if I included a digital certificate to give some comfort re macro security, anyone downloading and saving the file will encounter the message that saving the file will remove the certificate/signature. If this is the case, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of including it in the first place.
Firstly, could anyone confirm my understanding as outlined above - i.e. that downloading and saving will remove the certificate/signature anyway? Secondly, does anyone have suggestions for how to simplify the process so that parents will not be reluctant to download and save these files?
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back