Looping through 2D array prints the same value issue

Toffes

I'm writing this VBA code that loops through a defined range and finds the filled cells within in, then it refers 5 different indexes to each cell, and to check if each cell is truly indexed with these values, I write my array to a worksheet.
I can manage the loop to work and print exactly the number of filled cells - but the problem is that it prints out the same exact value for each cell even though they are totally different.
Here is how my worksheet looks like:
hupqmb.jpg

And what it prints out is:
ev1a0w.jpg

Using this code:
Code:
Sub FindMol()

Dim lMolecules As Integer
lMolecules = 5   'in this case, number of filled cells

Dim Molecules() As Variant
ReDim Molecules(1 To lMolecules, 1 To 5)     'this is a 2d array to fill in a table of number of molecules x 5 indexes

Dim ColInd As Integer

Dim c As Range

For i = 1 To UBound(Molecules, 1)   'number of molecules
  For j = 1 To UBound(Molecules, 2)   '5 indexes: x,y,dx,dy,color

Randomize
       dX = Int((H - L + 1) * Rnd() + L)   'speed vector x
        dY = Int((H - L + 1) * Rnd() + L)    'speed vector y

'moves thorugh the defined range, in this case 10x10

For Each c In Worksheets("Main Screen").Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(lHeight, lWidth))  
       If c.Interior.ColorIndex <> xlNone Then
        ColInd = c.Interior.ColorIndex

'printing the values found to the worksheet

Molecules(i, 1) = i   'giving each molecule a number in order
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("C2:" & Cells(i + 1, 3).Address) = Molecules(i, 1)
         Molecules(j, 1) = c.Column
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("D2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 4).Address) = Molecules(j, 1)
         Molecules(j, 2) = c.Row
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("E2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 5).Address) = Molecules(j, 2)
         Molecules(j, 3) = dX
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("F2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 6).Address) = Molecules(j, 3)
         Molecules(j, 4) = dY
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("G2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 7).Address) = Molecules(j, 4)
         Molecules(j, 5) = ColInd
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("H2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 8).Address) = Molecules(j, 5)     

End If
Next

Next j
Next i

End Sub

As you can see, even though the code loops through the entire range - only the last cell, Cells(6,8) is printed with its indexes.
NOTE: I can only do it using a 2D array of number of molecules x 5 indexes (uni project) so please do not try to change it, I just need to understand the problem of why I am only printing out one value for all cells.

I'd appreciate any help.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi,

I tried to run your code but there are some variables that are not set:
Rich (BB code):
Sub FindMol()
    Dim lMolecules   As Long
    Dim Molecules()  As Variant
    Dim ColInd       As Long
    Dim c            As Range

Dim i            As Long
    Dim j            As Long
    Dim H            As Long
    Dim L            As Long
    Dim dX           As Long
    Dim dY           As Long
    Dim lHeight      As Long
    Dim lWidth       As Long

ReDim Molecules(1 To lMolecules, 1 To 5)     'this is a 2d array to fill in a table of number of molecules x 5 indexes
    Randomize
            dX = Int((H - L + 1) * Rnd() + L)   'speed vector x
            dY = Int((H - L + 1) * Rnd() + L)    'speed vector y
            For Each c In Worksheets("Main Screen").Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(lHeight, lWidth))
                    Worksheets("Parameters").Range("C2:" & Cells(i + 1, 3).Address) = Molecules(i, 1)
                    Worksheets("Parameters").Range("D2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 4).Address) = Molecules(j, 1)
                    Molecules(j, 2) = c.Row
                    Worksheets("Parameters").Range("E2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 5).Address) = Molecules(j, 2)
                    Molecules(j, 3) = dX
                    Worksheets("Parameters").Range("F2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 6).Address) = Molecules(j, 3)
                    Molecules(j, 4) = dY
                    Worksheets("Parameters").Range("G2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 7).Address) = Molecules(j, 4)
                    Molecules(j, 5) = ColInd
                    Worksheets("Parameters").Range("H2:" & Cells(lMolecules + 1, 8).Address) = Molecules(j, 5)
                End If
            Next
        Next j
    Next i
End Sub
I have changed your Integers into Longs as well. Integers only work between -32,768 and 32,767.

If you let me know what the missing values should be I can have another go at trying it out.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Hi,

I tried to run your code but there are some variables that are not set:

I have changed your Integers into Longs as well. Integers only work between -32,768 and 32,767.

If you let me know what the missing values should be I can have another go at trying it out.

Regards,

Hello,
I forgot to mention them in the code I posted, but as I said - the code works, there is no error of Dim missing or anything, just that the loops doesn't do what I expect it to do.
L = -5
H = 5
lWidth = 10
lHeight = 10

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know.

I think you may have a loop too many in there somewhere.

It sets i and j equal to 1 then it runs round all of the 100 cells calculating a new value for each filled cell.

The answer then overwrites the answer for the previous filled cell because i and j have not changed yet, just c.

Having overwritten the cells 5 times it advances j to 2 and overwrites everything on row 2 twice.

After it has finished all that it then it increments i and overwrites all the same things again.

The calculation block is being executed 2500 times. Does that sound right?

If you take the If Statement into account then this code is run a total of 125 times:
Code:
                    Molecules(j, 2) = c.Row
                    Molecules(j, 3) = dX
                    Molecules(j, 4) = dY
                    Molecules(j, 5) = ColInd

Regards,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know.

I think you may have a loop too many in there somewhere.

It sets i and j equal to 1 then it runs round all of the 100 cells calculating a new value for each filled cell.

The answer then overwrites the answer for the previous filled cell because i and j have not changed yet, just c.

Having overwritten the cells 5 times it advances j to 2 and overwrites everything on row 2 twice.

After it has finished all that it then it increments i and overwrites all the same things again.

The calculation block is being executed 2500 times. Does that sound right?

If you take the If Statement into account then this code is run a total of 125 times:
Code:
                    Molecules(j, 2) = c.Row
                    Molecules(j, 3) = dX
                    Molecules(j, 4) = dY
                    Molecules(j, 5) = ColInd

Regards,

Is there anyone who can point out the problem? I'm clueless.

Upvote 0
Toffee,

Does the below help?

Code:
Dim lMolecules As Integer
Dim Molecules() As Variant

Dim ColInd As Integer

Dim c As Range

'*******
H = 5
L = 5
lHeight = 10
lWidth = 10
'*******

'looping just the once to calculate dx & dy ????

Molecules(i, 1) = i

Randomize
       dX = Int((H - L + 1) * Rnd() + L) 'speed vector x
        dY = Int((H - L + 1) * Rnd() + L)   'speed vector y

Molecules(i, 3) = dX
  Molecules(i, 4) = dY
  Next j

Next i

r = r + 1

'giving each molecule a number in order
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("C2").Offset(r - 1, 0) = Molecules(r, 1)
         Molecules(r, 1) = c.Column
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("D2").Offset(r - 1, 0) = c.Column
         Molecules(r, 2) = c.Row
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("E2").Offset(r - 1, 0) = c.Row
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("F2").Offset(r - 1, 0) = Molecules(r, 3)
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("G2").Offset(r - 1, 0) = Molecules(r, 4)
         Molecules(r, 5) = ColInd
         Worksheets("Parameters").Range("H2").Offset(r - 1, 0) = ColInd

End If
    Next c

End Sub

Like RickXL I am confused as to how you are wishing to iterate your calculations, especially re dx and dy.
Maybe you can clarify, in words?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back