Lookup Total in Pivot Table

Naru2

If you assume the data below is in a pivot table...Is there a vlookup formula to lookup a "Code" and then show the Total?
For example, if Code 111 is in the list, then return 10,000. Is this possible?

Product Code Units
Product ABC 111 1,000
Product ABC 222 2,000
Product ABC 333 3,000
Product ABC 444 4,000
Product ABC Total 10,000

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
That doesn't look like a place for a VLOOKUP formula, because you're not returning a value from the same row as the Code you're looking up.

But you can test for whether the Code exists in the table, and then return the total. For example:

Naru2.PNG

F4 Formula, filled down the column as needed:
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(E4,$B$4:$B$1000,0)), GETPIVOTDATA("Units", $A$3), "")

If I misunderstood, please let me know.

Upvote 0
So I think it works if there was only 1 data set in the pivot, but because I have multiple Products, it is actually pulling the Grand Total of all of them.
Is there a way to pull the Total for each subset? For example (using the new table below), for Code 111, the result would be 10,000. But for Code 555, the result would be 1,000.

Not sure if this is even possible.

Product Code Units
Product ABC 111 1,000
Product ABC 222 2,000
Product ABC 333 3,000
Product ABC 444 4,000
Product ABC Total 10,000
Product DEF 555 100
Product DEF 666 200
Product DEF 777 300
Product DEF 888 400
Product ABC Total 1,000

Thanks!

Upvote 0
How would you identify which Total you want to use? If both totals say "Product ABC", then it's a real challenge to distinguish between those values. Is the only way to find it based on position, where the Total is below the Product Code? Have you tried to set up the PivotTable to give you the subtotals you want but it didn't work?

Upvote 0
How would you identify which Total you want to use? If both totals say "Product ABC", then it's a real challenge to distinguish between those values. Is the only way to find it based on position, where the Total is below the Product Code? Have you tried to set up the PivotTable to give you the subtotals you want but it didn't work?
That's a typo, I just manually created a fake pivot table, so the bottom line should be "Product DEF Total 1,000". My apologies.

Upvote 0
Ah, in that case, I think this might do the trick.

Example Sheet:
Naru2-2.PNG

F4 Formula, dragged down:
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(E4,$B$4:$B$1000,0)), LET(product, INDEX($A$4:$A$1000, MATCH(E4, $B$4:$B$1000,0)), GETPIVOTDATA("Units",$A$3,"Product",product)), "")

Also, if anyone knows of a cleaner way to reference a PivotTable column, please let me know. Here I'm assuming your PivotTable doesn't have enough rows to go past row 1000, but you can adjust all those to be larger if needed.

Upvote 0
Solution
Book1
ABCDEF
1Product Code UnitsCodeUnit
2Product ABC1111000Product ABC10000
3Product ABC2222000Product DEF1000
4Product ABC3333000
5Product ABC4444000
6Product DEF555100
7Product DEF666200
8Product DEF777300
9Product DEF888400
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2:F3F2=SUMIF(Table1[Product Code Units],E2,Table1[Unit])

Upvote 0

Example Sheet:
View attachment 113989

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(E4,$B$4:$B$1000,0)), LET(product, INDEX($A$4:$A$1000, MATCH(E4, $B$4:$B$1000,0)), GETPIVOTDATA("Units",$A$3,"Product",product)), "")

Also, if anyone knows of a cleaner way to reference a PivotTable column, please let me know. Here I'm assuming your PivotTable doesn't have enough rows to go past row 1000, but you can adjust all those to be larger if needed.

I'm confused by this part of the formula..."Product",product)),

Example Sheet:
View attachment 113989

Excel Formula:

This worked perfectly. You're a genius! Thank you. :)

Upvote 0
I'm confused by this part of the formula..."Product",product)),
This worked perfectly. You're a genius! Thank you. :)
Are you familiar with the LET formula? It lets you take the result of a formula and give it a name, instead of typing it out repeatedly. Here I'm just using it because it's easier for me to read.

All that LET formula does in this case is calculate the formula:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX($A$4:$A$1000, MATCH(E4, $B$4:$B$1000,0))
, and then assign the value of that to the word product. For example, in the first cell with that formula, the INDEX-MATCH part gives me "Product ABC", and then makes product basically the same as "Product ABC". So that first GETPIVOTDATA formula becomes:
Excel Formula:
=GETPIVOTDATA("Units",$A$3,"Product","Product ABC")

Sometimes that LET formula also lets you avoid doing the same calculation multiple times, which can make things more efficient, but here I just wanted to make it easier to read.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kc3475

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back