Lookup Problem

n107jkx

Board Regular
I have been trying to use the DLOOKUP command in a query, but i am not sure if this is the right way to approach a problem.

I have a table which lists a 'Students ID', 'Test ID' and the mark scored by the student in that test ('Mark'). I would like to create a query that will help me make a tabular-style report, listing the students name, their score in test one, their score in test two and their score in test three (i have, and will only have, three tests).

To lookup the mark scored in test one i have been trying to use a DLOOKUP expression in that query, but it gives me lots of repeated gobbldy-gook, with each person having the same score.

I think i am using the formula right, so any suggestions on how to solve theproblem would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Have you tried a crosstab? Student = RowHeader, TestID=ColumnHeader, Mark=Value, aggregated by Sum. That will give one row per student, test results across the page.
Use that as the basis of the report.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back