lookup field question

steallan

Hi
I think its called lookup field. Ive got a table with groupID and RateID fields both linked to Primary key fields on other tables. However instead of showing the value in the table it shows the corresponding values from the linked tables. Thats prob not that clear.

Table 1

Item descrip GroupID RateID
blah blah ad 500
bleh bleh fd 100

Group ID table

GroupID Group
1 ad
2 fd

RateID table

RateID Rate
1 500
2 100

GroupID and RateID are one to many relationships. Dont want this auto field update on, i wna the table to be

Item descrip GroupID RateID
blah blah 1 1
bleh bleh 2 2

Can anyone understand my explanation and help? thanks

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi
Realised its the import table wizard. Im importing data from excel and when i use the wizard to break the table massive amount of excel columns into tables, access sets the relationships up as updates. how do you undo an update in a field?
Anyone? HELP ME!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm not sure that I understand the problem 100% - I can't recreate the problem you have referred to.

If you go into the design view of table 1 and click on Group ID, at the bottom of the screen you should see the field properties, click on the Lookup tab - what is showing in there? (Repeat for Rate ID). If it is a combo box then that might be the problem - you can't delete these until you change the relationships.

Are you able to post a screen shot (somewhere, not necessarily here) of the relationships? I think the answer to your problem might lie somewhere between the table design and the relationships. If you could also describe in detail the field properties of the problem fields from Table 1 (or post another screen shot or 2) then that will help.

Andrew :)

Upvote 0
Thx Andrew
It was set to combo box on the lookup tab (which i'd never found before, oops). I changed it to text box and now the table is showing the linked id number and not the id numbers corresponding value. I realised there was going to be an easy way to change it just couldn't find that tab, which shows im a bit dumb.
Anyway thanks again
Steve

Upvote 0
Hi Steve, I'm pleased you worked it out. In response to this :

I realised there was going to be an easy way to change it just couldn't find that tab, which shows im a bit dumb.

Don't be too hard on yourself - we all get caught out by things we haven't seen before.

Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back