Looking Up A Data Entry And Change A Cell Using VBA

Tommy2001

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All. I am struggling with a problem using VBA code. I am self taught using helpful sites like this and YouTube videos.

I am trying to write a line of code that will search a table of data based on a cell and change the status of a another cell.

So the user will fill out the form below and the data will save to a second page (further down) when they use either "Submit Request" or "Save For Later" command buttons.
MRExcel Upload.JPG

As you can see, Column J shows the status of the order. There will be lots of entries that are processed at different times.

Totals Page.JPG

When the user submits the request after it has been "Saved For Later", I would like it to look up the line and change the status to Submitted.

I hope that all makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S if there is any online courses that you would recommend to help me sharpen my Excel skills, please let me know.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a spreadsheet. In this case I would build a front-end application and everything would operate from there. The data may be stored in a spreadsheet but the functionality would be like a standalone custom application with use of Userforms.

Upvote 0
The key would be the purchase order number.

Code it to .Activate the sheet you want it to find the status from and then reference the number of cells over to the PO number when it finds what you are wanting it to find with something like
VBA Code:
 selection.offset(-6,0).value

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding how the user is using this. It sounds like the user would reenter all the information and hit Submit? But this doesn't make sense, because then the Save For Later button is just wasting effort. Is there some reason the user can't search for the Not Submitted entries and change them there?

Also, I'm not sure whether you're determined to do this all in Excel, but if you want to try something outside of Excel as Rhodie72 mentions, I'd recommend looking into something like Grist. It's a database that you can use like Excel, and it looks like it might handle what you're doing much better than Excel can.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding how the user is using this. It sounds like the user would reenter all the information and hit Submit? But this doesn't make sense, because then the Save For Later button is just wasting effort. Is there some reason the user can't search for the Not Submitted entries and change them there?

Also, I'm not sure whether you're determined to do this all in Excel, but if you want to try something outside of Excel as Rhodie72 mentions, I'd recommend looking into something like Grist. It's a database that you can use like Excel, and it looks like it might handle what you're doing much better than Excel can.
A VBA frontend is what I'm talking about

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back