looking for text-parser (not Excel)

Felix Atagong

I use Excel most of the time to change data from various customers into a flat-text-file that our company software can read.

For a new project I need a text-parser that will 'work' during the night without human intervention. It has to read the data (from a network drive) and change/save it into the format that I want (basically just rearranging the fields in the fixed length text file and find/replace some stuff). The tool may be small, cheap and cheerful.

I found (freeware) Parse-O-Matic on the web and Microsoft has a free utility called LogParser...

Any thoughts on those, anyone has used these programs before, other solutions?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hmmm, I'm not clear why we are eschewing custom solutions, but I know LogParser has no official support. It was just something put together by one of MS devolopers and MS made available. That devoloper has since left MS, so I doubt getting support will be super-easy. But text parsing is something you can do quite quickly with VBA or VBS, I'm curious why you do not want to use them?

Yeah, I already gave up LogParser, I'll try doing something with VBA/VBS perhaps. I was just hoping that there was a kind of stand alone utility (a bit like the text import in excel) that would give me a 5 minutes solution...

Oopps, I just realised you have to pay for these things, isn't there a freeware VBA stand alone thingie somewhere?

I have quite a bit of professional experiance with text parsing... What are your specs?

It is a very simple thing really, I receive a log file from an outside computer system that has fixed length fields.

In Excel I would do the following:
clean the doubles -> sort the data.
if the reference field, date field, hour field and status field are identical to the previous entry that entry may be deleted.

I now have a file with unique records and need to put them in the format of my internal computer system.
If the reference field matches a certain parameter, I take the reference, and replace the 'foreign' status (two digit number) with my 'internal' status (a 3 letter code).

Finally I send the new log file to an internal mailbox that is read by my server. I can also put it on an ftp directory... that is the easy part...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatje

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back