Long Text - Truncates at 255

KrazyAl

Board Regular
Hi

(I am using Access 2013)

I did search for this on the forum and no solution was found. Long Text Issues 2013 This one was close but I don't have the @ in the format.

I have a CSV file that contains data that I want to input in Access, some fields are greater then 255 characters, when I view the CSV in access (It is linked) I can see the field with the text and it's complete. When I append it to the table it gets truncated.

The data type has been set to Long text, I have tried using Plain text and Rich Text in the Text Format. Post that I read state that Rich Text should permit all the data to be displayed.

Thank you :)

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Check if any of these conditions exist in your append query Microsoft Access tips: Truncation of Memo fields You might have to play with the unique values/records settings, for example.
It seems you're aware of special characters in the import (' would be another one) so that is less likely to be the culprit. If you have to append and cannot over write, one solution may be to use a make table query to import into a temp table then append from there. Or Get External Data > Advanced Options(2007) will allow you to supply the field data types during the import. If you're looking for a more automated solution, maybe creating the temp table via DAO would make the specification stick, but I kind of doubt it.

Upvote 0
Note that sometimes the data is really there and you just can't see it (truncated in display but not in the stored data). I wish I had better advice - I tend to avoid these types of fields like the plague. You just have to try different things until something sticks.

Upvote 0
Note that sometimes the data is really there and you just can't see it (truncated in display but not in the stored data). I wish I had better advice - I tend to avoid these types of fields like the plague. You just have to try different things until something sticks.

^ this

open the table in design mode and
check the format of the field your appending to

it will have a @
or something
delete that format

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outis_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back